Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

US WW1 Victory Medal

Article about: Another one from the lot that I was chasing for another piece in it. This looks like a WW1 victory medal missing lots of its parts....presume this is both common and of no monetary value giv

Default US WW1 Victory Medal

Another one from the lot that I was chasing for another piece in it. This looks like a WW1 victory medal missing lots of its parts....presume this is both common and of no monetary value given its missing parts.

US WW1 Victory MedalUS WW1 Victory MedalUS WW1 Victory MedalUS WW1 Victory Medal

?

Hey Meyerse,

That's an original US World War 1 'Victory' medal, with its original ribbon and pin.

About 2.5 million of these medals were produced, for any who served in the US Expeditionary forces from 1917-20 (including the Allied expedition to assist the White Russians agains the Bolsheviks during the Russian Civil War) and so, they're not worth much money due to so many being produced.

This paricular example appears to come with its original 'rainbow' medal ribbon (designed to represent all the colours of the flags of the Allied nations) but does appear to be missing the original thin metal ring that would have attached the medal to the ribbon (not a surprise given they were just a thin loop of metal)

If you haven't already bought this, I'd say wait and find a better condition example (there'll be plenty about, even if you aren't based in the US) but if you have already bought it, then you have a piece of history nonetheless and something that a serviceman or their family likely wore with some pride during their life!

An interesting note is that each nation of the allies produced its own version of the 'Victory' medal, with only the medal ribbon in common. So, if you're looking for something to collect, it might be worth looking to collect the full set of those!

Thanks for sharing!

- Gumrum
    Last edited by Gumrum; 12-19-2023 at 10:23 AM.

can someone tell me the diameter of the loop and the thickness of the wire for the hanger?

Meyerse,

The loop is going to be basically the same size as other US medals; mere millimeters in thickness. Here is a WW1 planchet with the suspension ring to get an idea..

The thickness of a metal coat hanger or some bailing wire would probably be the right size but there are medal collectors that I am sure have extra parts and pieces when they encounter separated ribbons and planchets as well as brooches..

There may be replacement suspension rings available on auction sites.

Smitty
    Attached Images Attached Images US WW1 Victory Medal  US WW1 Victory Medal