Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation

Article about: Hello all, this small grouping came into my hands today after going through some boxes in the basement closet. These belonged to a very distant relative who served in the Navy during WW2 (19

Default USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation

Hello all, this small grouping came into my hands today after going through some boxes in the basement closet. These belonged to a very distant relative who served in the Navy during WW2 (1942 - 1945) and Korea though all the documentation here does not go past 1945. I'm not well read on USN items but I was surprised to see that he served in both the North African theater in 4 campaigns as well as the Pacific theater in 2 campaigns including the Philippines liberation. Unfortunately the medals that go with the ribbon bar are long gone as well as the ribbon for the Korean War medal and uniform. I've never seen the USNR honorable discharge button it looks like you would put it in an empty buttonhole. So far I have not been able to find any information about his service other than that he was a Quarter Master 2nd class, but hopefully I'll be able to update this post soon with that information. Thank you for reading and sorry about the redactions.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation   USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation  

USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation   USN Ribbon Bar, Tags, Korea Medal, and Documentation  

MAP
    ?

Fantastic family find Steve.

I've had my eyes our for a Korean war medal myself.

Looking forward to what you find out. The awards should be easy enough to find wartime replacements
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Fantastic family find Steve.

I've had my eyes our for a Korean war medal myself.

Looking forward to what you find out. The awards should be easy enough to find wartime replacements
    Thank you Michael! I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for those now, I remember seeing them at the show last time so hopefully next year I can find them all there and save on shipping.

Nice grouping and history. The parts are pretty easy and inexpensive to locate. I am looking at a couple of lots at an auction that may fill the void.
    John

?

Nice finds. Sometimes it pays to dig around the basements!!!

So is that discharge pin the navy equivalent to the Ruptured Duck lapel pin?

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Nice finds. Sometimes it pays to dig around the basements!!!

So is that discharge pin the navy equivalent to the Ruptured Duck lapel pin?

Semper Fi
    Phil
    I think that is the case after doing a little research, apparently it could also be worn on civilian clothing too but I'm not 100% sure if that was true back then as the document I read that from is dated 2005.

https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...s/1910-810.pdf
    Last edited by Politefaun; 12-13-2020 at 06:44 AM. Reason: link addition

I was able to find that the ship he served on using a free trial of ancestry was the USS Tuscaloosa (CA-37) from October 1942 to the end of the war. The ship took part in the Normandy landings, Operation Dragoon, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and more.

USS Tuscaloosa (CA-37) - Wikipedia