Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

For Valour, the VC

Article about: Since its inception in 1856, the Victoria Cross has been awarded 1,358 times, with three individuals winning it twice. It was originally conceived as an award to recognise acts of bravery du

Fantastic thread Steve, very informative, until I read this I still thought the metal contained captured Crimean War cannon.
    Regards
    Paul

The first VC's were said to have been made from captured Russian guns, then some time during WW1 they seem to have started using bronze from guns captured during the Anglo Chinese opium wars of 1856 - 1860.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by HARRY THE MOLE; 10-31-2021 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks for this thread Steve, Very interesting indeed, Regards Paul

Quote by Wilko View Post
    Hi Steve, as you say the acts of bravery is simply astonishing. I've just purchased Zulu War VCs by James W. Bancroft. Have always been interested in the Zulu Wars and its VCs. Looking forward to starting this book.
    Ken
    Hi Ken,

I have a smaller Umbumbuluzo Zulu war shield that dates back to the 19th century. It currently takes pride of place in the home of my daughter. I was very keen on the Zulu wars at one stage... a very interesting subject!

Cheers,
    Steve

Very interesting thread. We had a VC winner here, 'Smokey' Smith, who had a bit of a problem with the bottle. He kept pawning his original VC until his regiment found out and bailed out his decoration, realising the value of it.

?

The other day whilst out and about I found these 2 books and decided to add them and find out more regarding this most prestigious award and it's more recent companion, The George Cross.

The George Cross being the highest award bestowed by the British government for non-operational gallantry or gallantry not in the presence of an enemy.

Ken

For Valour, the VC

For Valour, the VC

Thanks for posting the books Ken.

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2