Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Victoria Cross Help

Article about: Posting this on behalf of new member Rogckux (Roger). He recently purchased this and would like help with authentication.

MAP
    ?

Default Victoria Cross Help

Posting this on behalf of new member Rogckux (Roger).

He recently purchased this and would like help with authentication.

Victoria Cross Help

Victoria Cross Help

Victoria Cross Help

Victoria Cross Help

Victoria Cross Help
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

There’s nothing to ‘authenticate’, it’s a low value representation/copy etc. a bauble, 15-20 bucks give or take. An authentic VC will set you back $250,000.00 or more

Even the Australian War Museum do not display originals!

And a original Victoria Cross always have the name, nr, rank, unit on the backside...

My great grandfather Jørgen Christian Jensen who lies buried at Westminster terrace in Adelaide, won the Victoria Cross in 1917 in Noreuil France. Will do a thread on him one day..

But anyhow all VC's theres not number, name, rank, nr and unit on the backside is simply a reproduction.

Thank you Michael for posting along with others for your comments. I felt pretty confident that the VC was a reproduction--but the brooch was like no other I've seen on other VC repos I have owned--plus the ribbon is not stiff but rather supple.

Quote by Ullergaard View Post
    And a original Victoria Cross always have the name, nr, rank, unit on the backside.
    Correct, specifically; the revesre of the medal bears the date of the act of valour for which it was awarded whilst the number, rank, name and unit of the recipient are engraved on the reverse of the brooch/clasp.

I believe that the location of every single VC awarded (except one suposedly lost in the field during the campaign in Southern Africa) is known and they are all with families, museums or private collectors (such as Lord Ashcroft) so the chances of just picking one up from other than a very public, high-end action house are slim to say the least.

This one looks from the pictures to be quite an attractive copy but a very definate copy. Ideal as an obvious repesentative piece a "gap filler" for a gap that will always be there in 99% of all collections.

I just hope the buyer did not pay any more than a low two figure sum.

EDIT, Sorry, I meant the recipients particulars are on the back of the suspension bar not the brooch, that would be wrong as the brooch is not actually part of the medal and would be lost when it was mounted in a group as it invariably would be!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-21-2021 at 05:39 PM. Reason: corresction
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I did not pay much for it. Low two figures is accurate. Thank you!

It's possible it may be a very old copy. The ribbon has the scalloped weave you'd expect of the period, so perhaps it's an immediate postwar reproduction, rather than a more recent one.

B.B.

Thank you B.B.

As a display piece, it looks acceptable but yes, these are rare awards and just don't turn up in local dealer shops and provenance is always known. They do get stolen from time to time. About 10 years ago 9 Victoria Crosses were stolen from the New Zealand Army Museum. They disappeared for a while but proved too hot to shift and the criminals negotiated their return, but were later imprisoned.