Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records

Article about: Hi All, I was out today at a local antiques fair, there was slim pickings in terms of militaria there unfortunately. Although I did happen to find some nice medals to add with some research

Default WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records

Hi All,

I was out today at a local antiques fair, there was slim pickings in terms of militaria there unfortunately. Although I did happen to find some nice medals to add with some research that's already been compiled by the seller. There is another lone medal to follow shortly.

The usual duo of Mutt and Jeff (the War and Victory Medal) named to a Private (83863) A. Joy. Notts and Derbys Regiment (The local regiment for me and the one my great grandad served with). Private Joy served with the 2/8th Battalion and later the 2/6th. This service number comes to an Archie Joy who is listed as a POW on 5th November 1918 after previously being reported as missing, the German document lists his capture as Bullecourt 21/3/1918. Private Joy was released and returned to England on 20th December 1918.
    The medals themselves have been worn at some point in their history with the sewn up tops and carboard strengthening inside the ribbon, they are not in the best of conditions but it adds to the charm.

*edit* - after a quick search 21st March 1918 at Bullecourt the German Third Army broke through as part of Operation Michael through the defences of the 59th (2nd North Midland) Division which was a Territorial Unit of which both the 2/5th and 2/6th Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derbys) were attached.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records   WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records  

WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records   WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records  

WW1 Medal Pair P.O.W. Records