Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Mercantile Marine Medal & War Medal to John Cloice Harvey Killed 03/03/1916.

Article about: Pictured here are the WW1 Mercantile Marine & War Medal awarded to Trimmer Cook (TC567) John Cloice Harvey killed aged 50 on 3rd March 1916. John was Trimmer/Cook on the HM Drifter Boy H

Default WW1 Mercantile Marine Medal & War Medal to John Cloice Harvey Killed 03/03/1916.

Pictured here are the WW1 Mercantile Marine & War Medal awarded to Trimmer Cook (TC567) John Cloice Harvey killed aged 50 on 3rd March 1916. John was Trimmer/Cook on the HM Drifter Boy Harold. The position of TC involved the coal handling duties and preparing and cooking food for the crew. The HM Drifter Boy Harold was basically a fishing vessel requisitioned by the Navy and upgraded by being fitted with an anti submarine deck gun and depth charges. She was in the Adriatic when she hit a mine laid by the German submarine UC-12. She sank with the lives of all on board just off the coast of Brindiss. These two medals are correctly named and numbered to John who was the son of John and Ellen Harvey of London England. John had enrolled for service within the Royal Naval Reserve on 27th Sep 1915. I have located one record at the National Archives but would there have been a Mercantile Medal Index Card?? If one exists I have tried several searches and cannot find the record in the archives. A record on Ancestry.com gives more or less what I have written above but states medal entitlement also the 1914 Star and Victory medal??? Also does anyone have any pictures or report of the sinking of the HM Drifter Boy Harold. Thanks Tim.Attachment 926167Attachment 926169

Nice pair of medals. If I remember correctly I think that you can access mercantile marine photo ID cards on FindMyPast. Might be worth a look and I think that you can pay per view. Thanks for showing.

Ive tried every conceivable search at the National Archives but can find no medal card relating to Johns mercantile marine medal, it seems that his may be one of the ones destroyed in later years. I have located one file in the archives giving addresses and dates of birth but that is it everything else ive tried has drawn a frustrating blank. I have a report on the sinking of the HM Drifter Boy Harold on order and will see what information it yields. I will have to photograph the documents I have located as they are in pdf form and wont post here. Regards Tim.