Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 military medal group need help

Article about: hi all, i have recently purchased a military medal group to- crosby rfa (2538452 re) thats what on the mm. it also arrived with his sons medals who was kia in burma in ww2 (nice because the

Default ww1 military medal group need help

hi all,

i have recently purchased a military medal group to-
    crosby rfa (2538452 re) thats what on the mm.
    it also arrived with his sons medals who was kia in burma in ww2 (nice because the father had them engraved)
    My question is how can i find out what crosby did to eearn the military medal please i have looked on the gazette and it confused the hell out of me.

any help would be great thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 military medal group need help   ww1 military medal group need help  

ww1 military medal group need help   ww1 military medal group need help  

Any pics of the back of the MM Ribbon Bar?
    Are you certain that is his number? I've found an MIC to a Crosby with the number 2538454, who was RFA but later became Royal Engineers and then Signals I think, which would explain why only his MM is R.E if he won it while with the Royal Engineers.

The best forum for research like this mate is the Great War Forum, they'll know the best resources to utilise if there's any that can help you learn more about his MM. I signed up on there for research on my GGF and they are very helpful.

Based on the info above, John Crosby 4th Divisional Signal Company in the Royal Engineers. The Gazette date was 13th March 1919, and according to Williamson's book this most likely a late 1918 (Aug to Sept) award. Looking at the actions of the 4th Division, most likely awared for either The Battle of the Scarpe or The Battle of Drocourt-Queant. Both of which formed part of the Second Battle of Arras 1918.
    It will be hard to find a citation as most were destroyed in the Blitz but some still exist in the National Archives. It might be worth looking at War Diaries or Regimental histories for further info.

Hello Halo1981,

I was able to find the following for you from Ancestry, I sincerely hope that it is the right Man :

Medal index Card obverse

Medal index Card reverse

Royal Engineers Medal Roll for the award of the War Medal and Victory Medal

Hope it is of some help

Best wishes

Andrzej

thats fantastic thank you very much