Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 Scots Greys medal group

Article about: Here's an interesting group of medals I picked up which are named to RSM Thomas Elliott (later captain) of the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Scots Greys). He served on the western front, but didn't ac

Default WW1 Scots Greys medal group

Here's an interesting group of medals I picked up which are named to RSM Thomas Elliott (later captain) of the 2nd Dragoon Guards (Scots Greys). He served on the western front, but didn't actually land in France until June 1st 1916 - having been kept back in England as an instructor. At the time he was acting RSM until the post was confirmed on July 6th 1916. Elliott's medals are shown below - although slightly out of order - an oversight on my part! The LS&GC is not named - although it has not been erased. The group came with copies of all his military records. Click on images to enlarge.

WW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal group

The Belgian Croix de Guerre was awarded to him in the field on February 2nd 1918 and recorded in the battalion war diary. Its worth noting that only 5,620 such awards were made to British military personnel throughout the war, which makes it a much rarer award to British servicemen than some of the gallantry awards. He was made an M.B.E (military) on June 3rd 1924, commissioned to Quartermaster on December 31st 1924, and promoted to Captain (Quartermaster) on December 31st 1932. In the picture below, Elliott is second man from the right in the back row.

WW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal group

The Scots Greys saw much action during the course of the war - and much of it in the trenches as dismounted troops. One Scottish newspaper reported that a decision was made to paint the horses khaki because their grey coats were too visible to German gunners who used the horses as an aiming point to strafe the trenches. This led to one wag penning a poem...

O wae is me my hert is sair, tho but a horse am I.
    My Scottish pride is wounded among the dust
    maun lie.
    I used to be a braw Scots grey but now I'm khaki
    clad.
    My auld grey coat has disappeared, the thocht o't
    makes me sad.

Elliott was a highly accomplished athlete, and the Scots Greys museum said of him in a post in 2019....

'Captain Elliott was a brilliant and accomplished athlete -- with skills in rugby, football, hockey, cricket, squash, and golf. Indeed he was one of the most "versatile athletes" the army has ever seen.

'Thomas Elliott held the championship for mounted men at arms on more than one occasion. Indeed captain Elliott's sublime sword skills were showcased at numerous fencing championships. He was the winner of several sabre championships at the Royal tournament at Olympia. Elliott won four county cricket caps for Cumberland and Gloucester and also played for the British Army's First XV Rugby team. Captain Elliott was not only a decorated athlete, but an outstanding soldier who was awarded the Belgian Croix de Guerre during his service with the Regiment in the First World War as well as being made a member of the Order of the British Empire.'

Such a glowing tribute to a very fine man who was much loved by his comrades. Below is his obituary...

WW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal group

Some of the documentation...

WW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal groupWW1 Scots Greys medal group

Cheers,
    Steve

I am always interested in "The Greys" as that was the regiment my father in law served with for 30 yrs albeit he was a "Man O' Kent"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

A pretty interesting read and a cool group! I quite like the early ribbon colours for the M.B.E

I think he might be related to me - I have a Thomas Elliot in England at the right time. Here's the only photo I have of him - I think there is a strong resemblance to the photo posted above. What do you think? Could this be the same man?

WW1 Scots Greys medal group

Cheers,
    Michael

This is the same Tom Elliot. Digging through my family documents, I found a copy of a newspaper article from Waynoka, OK (US) - Woods County Enterprise Aug 19th, 1937. It re-prints a letter from Samuel Elliott to my great-great-uncle John Seaman. In it, Sam mentions going to Bedford and having "very pleasant memories for me and my cousin Sgt. Major Tom Elliott (whose photo you have)"

?

Lovely group and great info Harry. Cheers Terry