Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY

Article about: Hi all, This is the other medal I picked up at the local antiques fair today. I picked this one up despite the replaced ribbon as it is my first WW1 medal named to an officer and I struck a

Default WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY

Hi all,

This is the other medal I picked up at the local antiques fair today. I picked this one up despite the replaced ribbon as it is my first WW1 medal named to an officer and I struck a deal on the pair and this with the seller.

The inscription reading Capt. E. D. B. OXLEY. Which from my research is a Captain Ernest Dennison Black Oxley of the North Staffordshire Regiment (The regiment of another of my Great Grandads). Earning his commission on 16th September 1914 as a 2nd Lieutenant becoming a full Lieutenant on 28th December 1914 (London Gazette 28th May 1915). Captain Ernest Dennison Black Oxley was awarded the Military Cross 31st May 1918 (Gazette Publication date:31 May 1918 Supplement:30716 Page:6469).

There's further London Gazette records that shows an E D B Oxley (5903) at the rank of Major in 1941 being promoted to Lieutenant Colonel and retired in 1944.

Unfortunately there was only the one medal for Oxley and that the ribbon was replaced (I will search for a period ribbon for it that matches the condition as it is a fairly worn medal). I am unsure as to where the other medals of this group are or could be.

I hope you all enjoy,
    Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY   WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY  

WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY   WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY  

Nice find, I like his name!

Lovely as are the other pair, I wonder what could have happened to the Captains other medals ,That M.C. must be somewhere!
    Regards Paul,

Hi Paul,

I'm just going to have to save a search on his surname to see if anything comes up anywhere. Part of the fun of collecting of course

Matt

Someone has split up a group of WW1 & WW2 medals, which is odd, something a collector wouldn't do. Be interesting to see if any others turn up.

It's unfortunate. I don't believe the seller did this either as he was a collector first and foremost too and said that if he had the group then he'd have definitely been keeping them. I will keep hunting and hopefully if anything his Victory and 1914-15 star will come up for sale somewhere.
    As stated I will keep an eye out for a period correct ribbon too as the replacement on this one has a far more plasticy feel than the originals.

Edit - I have been searching on Ancestry for Ernest Dennison Black Oxley and found that with his birth date of 29th November 1895 he was born in Nova Scotia and actually left for England prior to WW1.
    Last edited by Steelhead10; 11-07-2023 at 10:04 AM.

As Anderson has already said it is a pity that the group were split, as the value would really be having them as a group rather than selling them piecemeal. Good luck with reuniting them and for the searching into the former owner, sounds intriguing.

A bit more from my research, showing Oxley's Royal Military College of Canada qualification.

I have also found that Oxley was the nephew of a Canadian Member of Parliament - William Anderson Black

Matt
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY   WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY  

WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY   WW1 War Medal Captain E. D. B. OXLEY