Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WW2 silver USA Combat Infantryman Badge

Article about: Again I was looking for items I have never posted and found this. A pretty nice looking ww2 Sterling silver Cib award. One of the few American items in my collection. Not that I don’t coll

I could not agree more. The problem in WW2 Armored Divisions, TD’s, medics, did not qualify. Clarification but a lot saw action. The medics did qualify for the CMB but that was not until 1945. I maybe wrong but I don’t think Chaplains qualified either.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

The only folks that qualified for the CIB were those that were actually infantrymen. No one else could wear one regardless of the amount of combat they were in. As said medics could qualify to be awarded the CMB in ‘45 but it wasn’t until 2005 that the army started awarding a combat badge to soldiers other than infantrymen and medics. It’s called the Combat Action Badge.

?

Thanks guy for giving me more context of the award and what people think of it!

Here is a patch I have in my collection which I think is for someone who has been awarded this badge twice in cloth form. Which is shown by the added star. I got it for 50p and as far as I am aware it’s a modern day produced example. But for 50p it makes for a nice display alongside the WW2 CIB!

"The only folks that qualified for the CIB were those that were actually infantrymen. No one else could wear one regardless of the amount of combat they were in. As said medics could qualify to be awarded the CMB in ‘45 but it wasn’t until 2005 that the army started awarding a combat badge to soldiers other than infantrymen and medics. It’s called the Combat Action Badge".

I have to disagree with this statement about the only folks authorized the CIB were infantrymen. I understand the regulations as well as the criteria but there have been many exceptions to the rule... During the Korean War Chaplain Holland O. Hope who was the 187th Airborne Regimental Combat Team Chaplain led a rescue mission to relieve a unit of the 187th who was cut off and surrounded. For that action Chaplain Hope was awarded the Silver Star and the Combat Infantryman's badge. I was fortunate to obtain Chaplain Hope's estate about 25 years ago and I received his uniforms, decorations and other many other items. One of the many items I received was Chaplain Hope's Dress Blue uniform with sewn ribbon rack and decorations to include his Master Parachutist Badge with one bronze star device (He made 1 of the 2 Combat jumps in Korea with the 187th) and his Combat Infantryman's Badge. Chaplain Hope served in WW2, Korea and Vietnam. He was also Special Forces qualified and later in Vietnam served as the 101st Airborne Division Chaplain. There is extensive history about Chaplain Hope on line as well as video of the Chaplain conducting field services in Vietnam..

I have since relinquished care of this grouping to an Active duty Chaplain whom I have known for many years. As I start to thin out the collection I am reaching out to those who expressed interest in my groupings and thought of this Chaplain friend of mine.

I do apologize for the poor pictures. These were taken 25 years ago with a very poor camera, but this was one of Chaplain Hope's dress uniforms. I received several sets of Greens, blues and mess whites. This uniform was the only one with a sewn ribbon rack and attached CIB and Jump wings. All other extra insignia and patches were found in the pockets of one of his field jackets and in two large cigar boxes.

So although the Combat Infantryman's badge is an award that many identify as solely an Infantryman's award, there are non-Infantry personnel who have been awarded this decoration... The old adage "never say never" would apply in this situation...

Best regards everyone.. Stay Safe...

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 silver USA Combat Infantryman Badge   WW2 silver USA Combat Infantryman Badge  

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    although the Combat Infantryman's badge is an award that many identify as solely an Infantryman's award, there are non-Infantry personnel who have been awarded this decoration... The old adage "never say never" would apply in this situation.
    Quod erat demonstrandum (QED)

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2