Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

17th/21st Queen Royal Lancers motto

Article about: Hello all, I would please like some opinions on this motto i found. Is there any chance this is a cap badge from ww1/ww2 era? There are many variants out there and i feel like i'm overloaded

?

I too am no expert but have brought and sold a number of these type badges but mostly in white metal or anodised version. The only thing I can add is that I have come across similar material badges for other regiments/corps etc but these have been cast in the bazaars in the Middle East and normally cast in sand! I note that the Regiment did serve in Tunisia and just wondered whether this might be such an example. Regards Mark

Quote by MSlusa View Post
    I too am no expert but have brought and sold a number of these type badges but mostly in white metal or anodised version. The only thing I can add is that I have come across similar material badges for other regiments/corps etc but these have been cast in the bazaars in the Middle East and normally cast in sand! I note that the Regiment did serve in Tunisia and just wondered whether this might be such an example. Regards Mark
    Hi Mark, you are absolutely correct that badges were made locally by sand casting for units on long term foreign service because of the difficulty in shipping back then but that was in India and I am not aware of this being done in North Africa. However, that is not a possibility here because the badge at the top of this thread is not cast by any method especially not in a sand box. It is die stamped in a fake die and in the wrong metal with the wrong fasteners. A sand cast piece would have a weakly defined obverse with a grainy appearance (some however were better than others depending on the casting sand quality) with a solid cross-section with the reverse being very grainy and rough.

Good point to raise though

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for your confirmation Mark - I must admit I could not see any of the tell tale signs that would suggest it could be a cast badge but did wonder.

Dos
    ?

Just an update from my side to make this thread a bit more complete. I've learned alot since you guys helped me here, thanks again! And some further research makes me believe that i made a good purchase on this motto. I have had some thumbs up on this example from some of you and it was bought from a reputable dealer. Wonder if i will ever find a wartime example with some provenance..

-Dos

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    two that I have are or's on loops, they do exist as far as I am aware and mine were vetted on the brit badge forum.
    I don't doubt that at all Jerry I suppose I was expressing personal preference as every looped ORs motto I have seen in hand was in some way dubious so perhaps what I should have said is for a first example a slider type will be easier to confirm

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Dos View Post
    i made a good purchase on this motto. I have had some thumbs up on this example from some of you and it was bought from a reputable dealer.
    Glad you got it Marten and as I said it is better than the website pictures is it not? Another thing about that dealer is that he will not quibble at all if you don't like your purchase. He is confident in his items and knows that he will sell them again if they are returned.

As we said before, with these it can be confidently said that a motto is "wartime" but actual provenance will say which war in which case if it is a good piece and is within the right half of the century does it matter that much when it might have never gone any further than the Quartermaster Store?

Provenance will dictate but will add to the cost most likely and will likely include items that don't fit your collection if the badge (motto in this case) is what you really want!

Regards

Mark

Dos
    ?

Yes Mark, It looks even better in real life. Thanks again mate for showing me the one from Rod.

Collections are there to be expanded and if that means that i need to add a cap that has provenance and is easier to date i would happily do so. This is thinking up ahead, im happy for now!

Cheers,

Dos

CBH
    ?

I thought this might interest you, it’s on the Collectors Guild site in the British Canadian WWl area. For the price of jawless TK.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 17th/21st Queen Royal Lancers motto  

Dos
    ?

Great piece, Thanks for sharing this. Much appreciated Chris!

I think the first one is a fake due to the eyes. One very key point about a good 17th badge is the eyes. In a good one they will come to a point at the back, anything is else is not one you want.

Terry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast