A few months back I picked up a neat little grouping from a seller online. I've always been a sucker for groupings! No matter how big or small, something about having a group of items that all belonged to the same vet fascinates me. This grouping doesn't contain anything too jaw dropping, but I found it worth buying nonetheless.

Everything shown in the photos belonged to 'Sumner M. Pond' Of Rushville Indiana. Given the evidence within the grouping, Mr. Pond served with the 527th squadron of the 379th bomb group. According to some basic research I did online, the 379th flew more sorties than any other group in the Eighth Air Force, and dropped a greater bomb tonnage than any other group as well.

According to the seller everything shown was found inside the box. Nothing more than a few personal items, and three patches with a garrison cap. Unfortunately the cap isn't laundry marked to the vet. It does show an older crossed out laundry number, so I assume this is a reissued example. I have to say, I really love the shipping box in this grouping though. It has two separate lids, and both lids are marked on each side. One side being sent from an army post office in New York, and the other side being sent from Rushville Indiana. So this box got sent multiple times before being retired. I can only imagine what neat souvenirs the vet might have sent back home in this box.

Anyways, I thought this small slice of history was worth sharing with the forum!

379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot379th Bomb Group Lot