Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1910 hallmarked silver officers cap badge

Article about: There seem to be more variations over time of this regiments cap badge than the two or three of most other regiments. This is my 14th A&SH badge and they are all different either in slig

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1910 hallmarked silver officers cap badge

There seem to be more variations over time of this regiments cap badge than the two or three of most other regiments.
    This is my 14th A&SH badge and they are all different either in slight design features or material. Plus it's a really handsome badge anyway so why not keep adding variants? It's a bit like the TR collector who believes "you can never have too many Iron Crosses"

Anyway, this is a hallmarked (1910) silver officers badge .

The hallmarks are for Birmingham 1910 (date letter is 'I') and the maker is Joseph Jennens & Co a military badge maker in Birmingham.

The lugs are also silver rather than copper or other material which is a further indicator of a quality item.

Given that the date of hallmark is only 4 years before WWI and the general practice of such badges being passed down by retiring officers to newer soldiers or to family members the likelihood seems to be that this one is a WWI used item and possibly in theory at least, continued in service until the formation of the Royal Regiment of Scotland in 2006 as the design has not changed at all during that period.

It is one of my favourite designs and the badge itself was often used by instructors as a means to torment recruits who would be asked how many thistles the badge comprised. Most would count the flower heads and confidently state "Ten Sarn't" whilst the clever ones would appreciate that the answer is actually eleven because the whole wreath represents a Thistle bush.

All comments as usual are welcome and appreciated.

Regards

Mark
    Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1910 hallmarked silver officers cap badgeArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1910 hallmarked silver officers cap badge

PS The marks are on the front;
    Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders 1910 hallmarked silver officers cap badge
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-01-2022 at 02:49 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."