Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British Army Badge Collection

Article about: Hi all, I have just decided to add to my collection of British Army 'Cap' & other badges. Now, I have previously only collected more modern badges that I know are genuine, because I was

?

Some better photos of the front would help too.
    Notice the R has a angled mark at the top corner on mine.
    Also the M is wider on one side than the other.

?

"The 'oval' capbadge is waay too shiny & I don't believe these should have a slider?"
    The 1st version cap badges did in fact have sliders on them .
    Better pics of that badge would help too.

Here we go... still not the best photos but hopefully good enough?

THE DOUBTFULS

All sold (though not over sold) as original but bought cheaply (mostly on eBay, except early 'oval' REME capbadge which came from a stall at a local antiques fair)!

The 'better' of my two RFC badges with RFC/RAF fitter qualification badge:
    ...the same badges, a little brighter but more shadow:

Already had some doubt cast on its originality. I'm even more doubtful now too as brass appears too 'bright' from the rear &, when handling it close-up today, I noticed traces of dried wax (or maybe boot polish?) that looks to have been used to darken the badge (excess brown deposits' on reverse). Can others confirm any other 'warning signs'?

My 'less likely to be real' RFC badge:

Brass not so bright but worse definition & incorrect style lug(s)?

My 'old style' REME set:
    … again, same badges but taken in brighter sunlight:

Material all wrong for capbadge. Casting & lugs wrong on shoulder titles?

Recce Corps badge (I've not even bothered with the obvious copy one):

BELIEVED ORIGINAL

Royal Artillery:

Came in Princess Mary Christmas tin with other genuine items (mostly buttons) but not convinced its contemporary. What era would this badge be?

Pair of Bath Stars:

Same source as RA badge. Again what era would these be from?

Post War (Queens Crown) Army Apprentices School capbadge:

I used to think later metal capbadges like this should have a makers stamp (usually on slider) but I've no reason to believe this one isn't real - I don't think this particular badge is 'desirable' enough to be 'faked'?
    Last edited by brickie501; 08-31-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Question

I have a chance to ask for opinions on a badge that I have an interest in before buying for once!

Currently on eBay & reasonably priced:

The seller pics are all I have I'm afraid, but what do folks think of this example?

In appearance its very similar to ones being sold by (I think) reputable dealers. But I know Rick, there's a warning sign in that it's being displayed on a coloured felt background!
    Last edited by brickie501; 09-01-2019 at 09:43 PM.

I've heard you should have a theme for collecting. Mine is "I collect stuff I like"

But I've recently branched out a little from just creating a display of capbadges that I've worn to one for a unit that I've served with (& a near duplicate to present)... or more accurately (since it has an interesting 'lineage' - at least to me), a 'family tree' of the 'spiritual' predecessor organisations & capbadges (past & present) within them!

All of which goes some way to explaining these acquisitions:

Still need to get Glider Pilot Regiment, AAC & RAF plus RASC - as another of the principal precursors to REME (I won't bother with all the Infantry or Armoured Corps fitters etc - that would be endless!)

Since I tend to buy 'in bulk' then trade, there are some surpluses to my 'theme' (as well as duplication, in addition to the extras I've explained) among the above... plus I've been able to add to my rank insignia collection:

Which leads me to a question. Can anyone confirm the era(s) of these rank insignia?

The 'economy' Bath Star is obviously WW2 or the immediate aftermath. But are the metal ones from similar time or later still? Similarly, are the variations in "King's Crown" insignia from different timescales, unit variations or a mix of those (or anything else)?

I have done some 'googling' but my terminology might be too contemporary as I'm not getting anything... there's one (with the material insert) that I'm pretty sure is a post war Service Dress type but I would very much appreciate any further detail that those with more knowledge could share.
    Last edited by brickie501; 02-26-2020 at 11:05 PM.

Brass badges such as these were the first items of militaria I started collecting while at school. They were (then) cheap (ideal if you only had pocket money) and interesting. It's a shame the hobby often requires we become experts at identifying fakes. There are some very good reference books published over the years and these are well worth buying as a way of identifying and verifying the era and authenticity of badges.

Question

Still building my collection but, as I don't have much to spend on cap badges etc, eBay is my main 'hunting ground'.

So far so good by taking my time looking for what appear to be nice examples of stuff that interests me... but only buying at prices where I'm not too concerned if the item is a restrike or outright fake. However, I'm currently increasing that risk by looking at more desirable/expensive stuff!

I also want to get a couple quite quickly, for a particular project I'm looking to complete, & so I'm struggling to apply the good advice of researching enough 'known good' examples...

As I'm new to Royal Marine badges, could I therefore please ask you all for some advice / thoughts on some of my current eBay watch list (only pics I have are courtesy of seller's listings I'm afraid)?

KC Helmet Plate:
    British Army Badge CollectionBritish Army Badge Collection

KC Cap Badge:

Latter has been painted at some point & for unknown reason, but I kind of like that!

Many thanks in advance for any opinions on originality & ideas on reasonable price ranges.

Quote by brickie501 View Post
    I've heard you should have a theme for collecting. Mine is "I collect stuff I like"

But I've recently branched out a little from just creating a display of capbadges that I've worn to one for a unit that I've served with (& a near duplicate to present)... or more accurately (since it has an interesting 'lineage' - at least to me), a 'family tree' of the 'spiritual' predecessor organisations & capbadges (past & present) within them!

All of which goes some way to explaining these acquisitions:

Still need to get Glider Pilot Regiment, AAC & RAF plus RASC - as another of the principal precursors to REME (I won't bother with all the Infantry or Armoured Corps fitters etc - that would be endless!)

Its actually been complete for a little while, but I thought I should show you all one of the completed displays of badges that I was talking about in the above post. It may also clear up what I meant in the rather cryptic description!

I presented this one to a unit (an Army tradition) when I left... with a bit of a comment on 'ever-changing' names in British Armed Forces. Call me a cheapskate if you like, but this was why I wasn't always after an original RFC or GPR badge (or at least didn't want to pay 'genuine' prices), just ones that looked reasonable

You might notice some anachronistic use of badges in a couple of rows but I used what I had through bulk buying in those cases. I'm still working on a similar layout for myself, with period correct original badges if at all possible
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-11-2020 at 11:39 AM. Reason: spelling

Default Royal Marine Band Service Display Piece Build Up

While I gather more items for my own display piece similar to the one above (I'm being a little more particular about badge variations etc - its for me to look at & I have some form of military OCD! ), I've also set about collecting for another.

OK, its not British Army as per the thread title but its a worthy deviation!

The chap in uniform here is my wife's Great Grandfather:

He enlisted as a Band Boy (aged 14 years, 1 month & 13 days!) in 1911, served a full career in the Royal Marine Band Service until 1936, obviously including all of WW1, & subsequently re-joined from 1939 to '45!

I have an electronic copy of his record of service from the National Archives but, unfortunately, my wife does not have any items from his service. I therefore wanted to make a display to go with this photograph.

I thought a helmet badge might look good for a bandsman &, through various combined eBay wins (plus one chance button from an auctionhouse job lot purchase), I've gathered the following to select from:

On arrival, the 'two & a half sets' of larger Royal Marines titles to the left hand side of the photos seem to have (or, in one case, had) a shiny surface 'layer' - they're not like the modern 'staybright' badges I'm used to, but the fronts seem to be similar to that style while the rear faces behave like plain brass. Can anyone tell me if these are actual issue items &, if so, what age they are? Are they modern badges that happen to use the more traditional 'cast' lug or just straight up copies?

I'm planning to use the pair on the right hand side of the photos, as they're plain brass which seems appropriate, but I'd be interested to find out more about the era / origin of the others.

Similarly, any views on the helmet badge? I think its a reproduction (& for the price that's OK) but can anyone confirm?

As always, thanks so much in advance - any & all advice very gratefully received.
    Last edited by brickie501; 10-19-2020 at 10:38 AM.

I have suspicions about the prop badge as it looks from the picture like it has footed lugs, which is a common mark of a repro. May not be as the a closer picture would tell.

Terry

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3