Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.

Article about: I think this is a subject that many people don't even consider unless they specifically collect British cap badges but it is relevant to all who may include anything relating to a British re

Default British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.

I think this is a subject that many people don't even consider unless they specifically collect British cap badges but it is relevant to all who may include anything relating to a British regiment in their collection.

Most unit headress badges around the world incorporate some degree of symbology in their design.

This is particularly true of British unit insignia with the two main (not the only) areas being; regimental history reflecting the lineage of the unit and alliegience to the Sovereign.

The first is based on the original formation of the unit and subsequent changes required by amalgamations or title changes such as unit designations or the granting of the "Royal" prefix etc.

The second is predictable and takes place when a new Sovereign takes the throne. This is usually a change in the royal cypher unless other changes are mandated at the same time.

These changes are most clearly observed in the badges we most easily recognise as "modern" ie those in use from the start of the 20th Century (some Victorian badges can be included in the concept however).

To illustrate my point here I show a group of Military Police Other Ranks (Enlisted men) cap badges from 1901 to the present day.

It should be noted that cap badges with the cypher of King Edward VIII do appear from time to time but these are all suspect and only very (I mean very) few are thought to have been made and even fewer issued. I have seen virtually no evidence of such badges actually being worn as he was king for less than a year (327 days) and never crowned. The Coronation planned for 1937, after which his cypher would have been fully adopted, was cancelled when he abdicated.

Note also that I show two G VI R badges. The second illustrates the change of title after WWII when the royal prefix was granted thus styling the "Corps of Military Police" as the "Royal Military Police"

Officers badges follow the same principles but are made of different materials in higher quality.

Of couse regiments that do not include royal cyphers or titles that might change remain unaltered when a new sovereign ascends the Throne. They would usually change on amalgamation with another regiment but that is a different subject.

I hope this is of interest.

British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-16-2020 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Default Royal Engineers cap badge evolution.

The Corps of Royal Engineers, among the oldest in the Army gives another good example of the changes over time which I referred to at the start of this thread.

These are all OR's (enlisted badges) except for one Officer type I added for the sake of illustration.

From left to right, top to bottom;

1. Edward 7th E VII R.
    2. George 5th G V R.
    3. George 5th G V R WWI economy unfretted type.
    4. George 6th G VI R all brass.
    5. George 6th G VI R Officers gilt Bi-Metal (note the maker mark at bottom left).
    6. George 6th G VI R ORs (Enlisted) non gilt Bi-Metal.
    7. Elizabeth 2nd E II R Bi-Metal.
    8. Elizabeth 2nd Anodised aluminium.

There are more officer types but they follow the same convention regarding format and as officers have to buy their own badges (from a maintenance grant) which can be expensive versus the issue types junior officers sometimes wear the OR version in working dress (on the Tank park, Engineer park, workshops etc).
    There are also cloth and bullion embroidered types for both officers and ORs but again they follow similar convention.
    As with everything else there are also manufacturer / maker differences over time regarding minor details, fixing and finish etc.

So anyone who ever claims to have a "full set" should be regarded with some scepticism

Regards

Mark

British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.British cap badge changes over regimental timelines.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-22-2020 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."