Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

The Cambridgeshire Regt. Cap Badges

Article about: Can anyone please tell me why one finds the cap badges for this regiment with "Cambridgeshire" spelled with and without the "e". I have looked on the net, but cannot find

Default The Cambridgeshire Regt. Cap Badges

Can anyone please tell me why one finds the cap badges for this regiment with "Cambridgeshire" spelled with and without the "e". I have looked on the net, but cannot find the answer. My badge is a bi/metal version with the legend "The Cambridgshire Regt". When would this badge have been made? Thanks for your help.
    Tom

Default Re: The Cambridgeshire Regt. Cap Badges

the answer is simple...... it was an error in manufacture which was not caught before the bdges were issued and "out there". The Cambridgeshires were a Territorial Army Regiment in foundation and very small at the outbreak of war, Recruiting was widespread and the young men of Cambridgeshire rose to the call in such numbers that they were rushed into uniform and over to the continent.
    This is most definitely a WW1 issue badge, a relatively early one and those missing the "e", while not rare as such, are hard to find.
    I am the grandson of Sergeant Robert Reuben Langley, Cambridgeshire Regiment. H was one of the first to ship out and one of the last to return in 1919. He was actually granted a 3 day pass to return to UK to marry in 1916, produced a daughter on his wedding night with my grandmother and came home in 1919 to meet his 2 year old! He was part of what came to be called "The Cadre", one of 11 who went out early and actually came home. Considering what he went through at witnessed, he was a remarkable man. I have his cap badge.... with the "e" present. His photo appears in the frontispiece of the book "the Cambridgeshires 1914-1919" written by Brigadier General Riddell and Colonel Clayton, first published 1934. The first edition was recalled because apparently it contained statements which criticised some powerful people and was later re-issued minus the critical statements but still called 1st edition. My Grandfather's copy of the book, which I have, is one of the originals which my Grandfather refused to give up. This amazing wartime regimental history can still sometimes be found on the ABEBOOKS site for between $100 and $200

Default Re: The Cambridgeshire Regt. Cap Badges

Thank you for the info on the badge and for sharing some of your family history with us. It is a pity I have no-one in my family with any military history.
    Tom