Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Which divisional sign is this?

Article about: I’ve been searching high and low to find what formation this is for weeks, finally handing it over to the experts here, hope you can help. Thanks in advance.

Default Which divisional sign is this?

I’ve been searching high and low to find what formation this is for weeks, finally handing it over to the experts here, hope you can help. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Which divisional sign is this?  
    "Per Ardua"

?

It looks like XV (15) Indian Corps

OMG!! AB64 certainly looks like it - many, many thanks this has been driving me mad!!
    badge, formation, Indian, XV Indian Corps | Imperial War Museums
    "Per Ardua"

?

That was a tough one, I also searched but my instincts were 'Runic' in nature, great job AB64 !
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Quote by AB64 View Post
    It looks like XV (15) Indian Corps
    Yep, you beat me to it, I was out at the shop how sad is that ? I missed a post just because I had popped out You would think I was here all day and night

15 Corps has a history covering WWI - WWII and the present day. It is currenty the formation responsible for Indian Army Ops in Kashmir region.

The actually sign does look runic and bears a passing resmblance to the Odal rune (7th SS Prinz Eugen) with the top cropped but is actually 3 x V which is said to represent 15 in Roman numerals (actually XV is 15 of course so this is just 3 x 5). It is the same formation in reality today but they now use a different formation sign since independance;

Which divisional sign is this?

so I suppose that plaque must most likely be pre-1947

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-21-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark, probably should have come straight on here!!
    "Per Ardua"

Quote by paulp4180 View Post
    Thanks Mark, probably should have come straight on here!!
    Yep, there's masses of untapped knowledge on here so always worth a punt. You've paid for it so use it

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I was definitely looking in the wrong Military group...

I was thinking Panzer Divisions and then I thought Luftwaffe formations (fighter, bomber, night fighter etc.) then I switched my search to Kriegsmarine...

Look all through my German Military Symbols book (dated 1945) and had no luck there either...

Glad it was identified for you..

Best regards

Smitty

cheers Smitty, my fault, should've mentioned that I knew it was British.
    "Per Ardua"

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I was definitely looking in the wrong Military group...

I was thinking Panzer Divisions and then I thought Luftwaffe formations (fighter, bomber, night fighter etc.) then I switched my search to Kriegsmarine...

Look all through my German Military Symbols book (dated 1945) and had no luck there either...

Glad it was identified for you..

Best regards

Smitty
    That's the trouble, without additional visual information in the frame the brain immediately tries to fit an image to something it can recognise. That's how visual deception works all the time!

My immediate thought was of the Odal rune even though I knew that was wrong. Sometimes "say what you see" is quite the opposite of what one should do

Regards

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast