Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Gordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modification

Article about: I previously posted a Gordon Highlanders Tam O' Shanter (TOS) bonnet with a 1943 hallmarked silver cap badge here; https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/cloth...7/#post2242737 This one came my way

Default Gordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modification

I previously posted a Gordon Highlanders Tam O' Shanter (TOS) bonnet with a 1943 hallmarked silver cap badge here;

Gordon Highlanders Officers TOS (Tam O'Shanter) bonnet with Silver cap badge

This one came my way recently I could not resist it.

It is hallmarked for Birmingham 1914 and even the lugs are marked with the Stering silver "Lion". However what is special about this one is the personal modification on the reverse by which a small bar with two rings is soldered to the area near the top of the stag's head. I have never seen this before but I believe it is to assist in securing the black cock feathers worn by regimental pipers in the Glengarry cap. If it were for a feather bonnet the lugs would be longer than these which are standard length.

I hope you like this badge as much as I do.

Regards

Mark

Gordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modificationGordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modificationGordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modification
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-21-2023 at 05:19 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Stunning craftsmanship in the details... and I love the slightly crazed look of the stag!

Slightly off point but to add to the discussion, George Gordon, 5th Duke of Gordon (about 1820)

Gordon Highlanders 1914 hallmarked silver cap badge with personal modification