Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Governor of Pennsylvania Flag

Article about: Sharing photos of the newly acquired Governor of Pennsylvania flag. It is a large flag, 52" x 66", double faced rayon (really heavy) with Bonnaz style embroidery. There is no manuf

Default Governor of Pennsylvania Flag

Sharing photos of the newly acquired Governor of Pennsylvania flag. It is a large flag, 52" x 66", double faced rayon (really heavy) with Bonnaz style embroidery. There is no manufacturer label or tag. The fringe is twisted loop type so it is probably from the 1950's or 1960's. They really don't make flags like this anymore. Most modern flags have computerized machine embroidery and lots of appliqué work. I believe this type of flag would have been used in the Governor's office and by the PA National Guard. I have seen photos of a couple of other PA Governor and NG Headquarters flags and they have the white field. The PA state flag has a dark blue field. Interesting contrasts. Governor of Pennsylvania Flag

?

As a former PA resident, I'll say Very Nice addition!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Another incredible flag. I would NEVER thought about the twist of the fringe as a way to date a flag.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Thanks Marty. Yeah, the twisted loop type fringe seems to have appeared on a regular basis starting in the early 1940's. If you look at most fringed flags up to that time they have the knotted strand type fringe. I really like that type of fringe. As the the PQMD and other flag manufacturers used up the knotted fringe they switched over to the twisted loop type. I'm sure the knotted fringe was very labor intensive. There are literally thousands of strands on a 36" x 48" flag, each tied by hand. The twisted loop was machine-made and looks very nice. I have collected a few flags dated later than the war with knotted fringe, but they are mostly rarer branches (engineer, medical) that had been made on flag blanks left over from WW2.