Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip

Article about: Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip please , They were in with a mix of ww2 and post war cloth badge , thank you for any help

Default Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip

Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip please , They were in with a mix of ww2 and post war cloth badge , thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip   Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip  

?

The trident is a Royal Marines patch
    British Commando WWII Patch Royal Marine Division Patch 1942

The wheel, is BRITISH WESTERN HOME COMMAND
    WW2 British Western Command Cloth Formation Sign Patch Badge PAIR

Steve.

The Ram's head is for 1st Army Group Royal Artillery (AGRA) which was a Brigade sized formation. I can't be sure of the period but think it is WWII or just after.

More recently the same badge was used by a formation named 1st Artillery Brigade (South West) based at Bulford Camp in Wiltshire although that only lasted for about a year before being reorganised again. I don't think the emblem is currently used.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you both so much that was quick i was looking for a good 2 hours at pages of div signs with no luck .

Quote by kradman View Post
    Thank you both so much that was quick i was looking for a good 2 hours at pages of div signs with no luck .
    No problem the first two are easy enough. It's the AGRA that tend to catch people out but there were 18 British AGRA during WWII and I think two Canadian AGRA.
    There were more in the early post war period but many didn't last long. I suppose you could build a collection based on AGRA alone.

My dad was in 2AGRA whose formation sign was a white circle with an inverted white semi circle on top on a black background. It was dubbed "The Flying A**SEhole"

Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Here is a couple more that came in with the group if you can help please RP could be some sort of regimental police ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip   Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip  

Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip   Help needed with ID of these Badges found at local Rubbish tip  

First one is easy. It is the post war (1948 I think) formation sign for Aldershot District which was used until the formation of South East District in about 1968 (SE District had previously existed in Wellingtons day).

The same badge but with an orange border and blue outer border was used by 49 Buckinghamshire Regt RA, a post war Territorial Army unit no longer in existence.

The 'RP' is more obscure and the only thing that comes to my mind is that the letters are an abbreviation of 'Regimental Provost' aka Regimental Police aka Provost Staff which is more usually seen on a duty armband. So this could be a patch sewn to a duty brassard which many units use instead of an armlet.

Got any more?

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-14-2022 at 01:24 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you Mark
    There are more but i havent had time to sort though them yet , Thank you again for your help