Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help please - 3 unknown badges

Article about: I have been given these three badges, but I have no idea what or who they were for. Please help if possible. The first is brass with a silver coating and British style lugs. Second is alumin

Default Help please - 3 unknown badges

I have been given these three badges, but I have no idea what or who they were for. Please help if possible.

The first is brass with a silver coating and British style lugs.

Second is aluminium and I thought it could be Rhodesian, but cannot find it in any of my books.

Last is a brass badge lugs I have seen before, I think Dutch, but once again unable to find out anything about it.

They all seem to be collar badges, but I could be wrong. Thank you for your help.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help please - 3 unknown badges   Help please - 3 unknown badges  

Default Re: Help please - 3 unknown badges

OK, after some more searching I have at least found out that the last badge is not Dutch, but instead Danish Home Guard for Region 3.

Tom

ian
    ?

could the midle one be a royal green jackets shoulder title ??
    cheers ian

Hi Tom,

The black one is a Royal Green Jackets shoulder insignia. The colour makes it fairly rare, but not really valuable.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by ian View Post
    could the midle one be a royal green jackets shoulder title ??
    cheers ian
    I just checked and you're right, Ian. Thanks mate.

Tom

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hi Tom,

The black one is a Royal Green Jackets shoulder insignia. The colour makes it fairly rare, but not really valuable.

Regards, Ned.
    Thanks Ned. What would you consider "not really valuable"?

Tom

Quote by StuG III View Post
    Thanks Ned. What would you consider "not really valuable"?

Tom
    Hi Tom,

I meant monetarily, you can pick a pair up for less than £15. But understandably, they can be of more value personally to a collector, just for what they are.

Regards, Ned.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Thanks Ned, I have no real understanding of the Allied stuff. On a scale of 1 to 10, what would the rarity be, in your opinion?

Tom

Hi Tom,

It's not really 'rare' on a measurable scale I would say. The thing that makes it different is that only two regiments regularly wore these subdued titles and cap badges when not in action or on exercise, 1,2,3 and 7 (T.A) RGJ and I think, the Rifle Brigade.

The three original battalions of The Royal Green Jackets all had very close links and keep the traditions of their former regiments.
    1 RGJ : The Ox and Bucks Light Infantry.
    2 RGJ : The Kings Royal Rifle Corps.
    3 RGJ : The Rifle Brigade.

The RGJ were formed in January 1966 mainly from the amalgamation of the above regiments, but also many smaller elements and T.A/semi pro type outfits that were too costly to run on their own.

In the field, it is preferable to wear subdued insignia rather than bright wear that can catch the light and give away position. The difference is, when not in action/on exercise, all other regiments wear parade Brass, white metal or StayBrite insignia. RGJ, whilst having parade type insignia, nearly always chose to continue wearing black. They also would wear black shirt buttons and often dye their puttees black as well. Although not officially correct, this practice was accepted as part of 'tradition'.

These days they've been amalgamated again into the new 'Rifles' regiments, but the tradition is still upheld; as is marching at 140 strides p.m. compared with 120 of the rest of the army. It's the 'individuality' that was displayed by the Green Jackets that made me say that the title you have was 'rare' in the sense of them being different from all other regiments. 'Alway's a rifleman, swift and bold' as they say!

Regards, Ned.

Just looking at the unidentified badge again, and it occured to me that it may be the insignia for the Civil Affairs branch of Army of an indeterminate but probably Commonwealth country by the look of the hardware.

The scales represent balance and normality; the gauntlet denotes the military's role in establishing, administering and protecting the equilibrium. The U.S. Army's civil affairs branch insignia has a very similar crest as the one above, and that got me thinking along these lines, but it is just a guess.

Regards, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Help please - 3 unknown badges 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast