Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

HELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF Wings

Article about: Hello gentlemen, These pilot wings came with a nominal B-17 pilot uniform from World War II. I don't know how to ascertain its originality or dating. I ask for your help. Thank you.

?

Default HELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF Wings

Hello gentlemen,

These pilot wings came with a nominal B-17 pilot uniform from World War II dated 1944. I don't know how to ascertain the originality or dating of the wings. I ask for your help. Thank you.

HELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF WingsHELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF Wings

MAP
    ?

Can you make out the makers name that is lightly stamped behind the shield?

If you can, it will make it much easier to then start searching. I only own a handful of wings, so not really qualified to state one way or the other. If someone here can't help, the US Military Forum has some great threads.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello,

On the shield, what is written is erased. It is difficult to read. But it seems to be the end of the word .... Mayer and below .... (new y) ork. You can only read "ork".

Thanks

I'm seeing some "NS Meyer INC New York" insignias online. Does it look like there was a crest underneath the words? It's hard to tell on the photo. That company had a crest stamped too.

Different kind of wings, but you can see the stamp clearly on this one:
    http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/usaaf/...rballoon.shtml

Looks like they were a company from the late 1800s through 2000 when they were absorbed into another company. Found a drawn hallmarks chart for their company for the 1930s through '50s. It's small...can't get it any bigger without it being blurry:

HELP REAL OR FAKE? WW2 USAAF Wings

Then I found this information on another forum from 2008:

N.S. Meyer markings

In the 20’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” (raised), no shield

Early 30’s : screwback, “N.S. MEYER NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

Mid 30’s to 1943 : screwback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (engraved).

WWII : pinback, “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised)

Late 40’s : Shield only (raised)

Late 40’s to early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield (raised and ½ size)

Early 50’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.C” or “N.S. MEYER, INC. N.Y.©” + shield (raised)

Mid 50’s to Mid 60’s : “N.S. MEYER, INC NY” or “N.S. MEYER, INC NEW YORK” + Shield + 9M (raised).

Mid 60’s to mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK” + shield + 22M (raised)

Since mid 70’s : N.S. MEYER, INC. NEW YORK MADE IN USA” + shield + 22M (raised).

?

Hi,

it is difficult to see in the photos and also in the piece itself. Because half of the markup is completely "erased", faded and cannot be read.

Thanks

Wish I knew more about these sort of things for you. Hopefully some of that will help a little until one of the experts come along.