MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

I've never seen this "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch before and would like more info...

Article about: Hi everyone. I just acquired this Ike jacket from the family of the veteran but they don't know much about it. I'm curious to understand the "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch since I've

?

Default I've never seen this "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch before and would like more info...

Hi everyone.

I just acquired this Ike jacket from the family of the veteran but they don't know much about it. I'm curious to understand the "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch since I've never seen one before and searching Google isn't leading me to any useful details either. Inside one of the breast pockets of the jacket are two additional patches, one uncut (see photos). My specialty is German uniforms, so I'm not too familiar with US items, but in my decades of collecting I've never seen this patch before so I'm intrigued.

As well, I'm curious if anyone can help me understand the stamps on the inside of the jacket beneath the collar ("M P", followed by "P-8231" beneath each of those two letters on either side -- see photo).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've never seen this "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch before and would like more info...

US Army Jeep Shows was a Special Services Program with the US Army.

Here is a link to some information about the patch. You will have to scroll down to post #1023

Patch Tabs - Page 41 - ARMY AND USAAF - U.S. Militaria Forum

I have the ASMIC article but I am somewhat busy right now to dig it out but if there are any ASMIC members here they may be able to pull it for you

Smitty

Here is another link with a Ike Jacket with the same insignia.

Smitty

US Jeep Shows Ike jacket - UNIFORMS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Very interesting Ike. My grandfather drove Linda Darnell around. Not sure how he got to do that because he was in a tank destroyed division.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Interesting IKE Jacket and the numbers/letters on the inside are the Soldiers last 4 of their assigned Army Serial number and the letter is the first letter of the last name.. P-8231 would be the marking for this Soldier on his clothing and equipment. The "M" is most likely the first letter of their first name.

It is possible it is researchable

Smitty

Only two I can find and both are musicians
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I've never seen this "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch before and would like more info...   I've never seen this "U.S. Army Jeep Shows" patch before and would like more info...  

Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    US Army Jeep Shows was a Special Services Program with the US Army.

Here is a link to some information about the patch. You will have to scroll down to post #1023

Patch Tabs - Page 41 - ARMY AND USAAF - U.S. Militaria Forum

I have the ASMIC article but I am somewhat busy right now to dig it out but if there are any ASMIC members here they may be able to pull it for you

Smitty
    I knew of the SSP but had never heard the name "Jeep Shows" either but this would be the US equivalent of the British ENSA (Entertainments National Service Association)

Entertainments National Service Association - Wikipedia

which now exists as CSE (Combined Services Entertainment) and which sends mainstream entertainers to conflict zones and arduous duty stations often very close to the front (or as close as higher echelon will permit) to boost morale. I still have fond memories of CSE shows in places where "the sun don't shine"

These people have always provided a vital service unlike some "celebrities" who prefer to stay "In the rear with the gear"

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

This sounds like your man:

Mario Joseph Pieroni
    Mario Pieroni died June 21, 2005 in El Cerrito at the age of 88. A native of California, Mario was raised in San Francisco. After graduating from Galileo High School, he began his professional accordionist career and became a highly touted musician. Mario was paired with Mickey Rooney in World War II as part of the Special Service Battalion to entertain the troops near the front lines.
    After the war he became owner of the Bocce Ball operatic nightclub in San Francisco. He also moved to El Cerrito with his wife, Lena, who preceded him in death on June 29, 2004.
    Mario is survived by his son, Dr. Gerald Pieroni, who is a periodontist in Fresno; his brother-in-law and sisters-in-law, Silvio and Evelyn Canepa and Dina Pieroni; and many nieces and nephews. Mario enjoyed the outdoors, fishing, hunting and caring for his orchids.
    Friends and family are invited to the visitation on Sat., June 25, 2005, from 1-5 p.m. at Civic Center, Wilson & Kratzer Mortuaries, 455 24th St., Richmond. Graveside service will be on Wed., June 29, 2005, at 10 a.m. at St. Joseph's Cemetery, 2560 Church Ln., San Pablo, CA.
    --The Contra Costa Times, Contra Costa, Calif., June 24, 2005.