Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Knackered old cloth badges - Identification please!

Article about: Hi All, I recently purchased some very mothy and tired looking cloth badges. They were supposedly an estate find and the condition would suggest as such (the Italian badge is pretty much fal

Default Knackered old cloth badges - Identification please!

Hi All,

I recently purchased some very mothy and tired looking cloth badges. They were supposedly an estate find and the condition would suggest as such (the Italian badge is pretty much falling apart) - they were, however, very cheap.

I am primarily a WW1 collector but have recently started to tentatively branch out into WW2 collecting. I have been trying to identify some of the badges as these are really not my area of expertise.

I believe that they are as follows: Irish Guards shoulder title, King's Shropshire Light Infantry (KSLI) shoulder title, Duke of Wellington's Regiment slip-on shoulder title, RA artillery gun layer's sleeve badge.

I am a bit mystified by the Italian badge and the flaming bomb badge and any identification would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone know what a Gun Layer did?

Thanks in advance and best wishes,

Simon

Knackered old cloth badges - Identification please!Knackered old cloth badges - Identification please!

The italian badge is a WWII artillery cap badge, the bomb is part of the sleeve insignia for an RE nco's rank. See here for the latter. 1937 pattern Royal Engineers Staff Sgt's BD Blouse
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Hi Jerry,

Many thanks for your prompt reply and for pointing me in the right direction.

Do you know, am I right in thinking that all the British badges are WW2 period as opposed to being earlier?

Thanks,

Simon

?

Did Artillery also use the flaming bomb device? The bomb and the Gun Layer could be from the same tunic?

Oz.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    The italian badge is a WWII artillery cap badge, the bomb is part of the sleeve insignia for an RE nco's rank. See here for the latter. 1937 pattern Royal Engineers Staff Sgt's BD Blouse
    Hello Jerry,
    that is a good link that you posted with the engineer tunic but I have to agree with Oz that the flaming grenade badge looks to be from a Royal Artillery tunic...It more than likely goes with the 'L' badge for a gun layer qualification.

I know that the Royal Engineers should have a nine flamed grenade and the RA should only have seven but the tunic that you pointed out has a badge with only Seven flames... very peculiar.
    Unless like me the storeman grabbed the wrong 'Flaming Grenade' to issue!

All the best
    Doug

Yep, Jerry just beat me to it whilst I had a brew on!!

The gun layer is a member (or number) of a field gun crew (same applies to a naval gun but this one is Army) and he is the bloke who "lays" or aims the gun. The badge was worn on the lower sleeve and the type is often referred to a "special to arm" or "trade" badge amongst other names.

I hope this helps

Mark

PS Doug was quicker too!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

you could well be right guys, arty rather than RE, I should have counted the flames. A shame all of it is so badly mothed.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.