Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery Badge

Article about: I posted this image on this site some years ago in the hope that someone could identify it but at the time it remained a mystery so apologies if you have seen it before but I was hoping some

Default Mystery Badge

I posted this image on this site some years ago in the hope that someone could identify it but at the time it remained a mystery so apologies if you have seen it before but I was hoping someone new might have an opinion.

Approx 60mm long and 31mm at its widest. The slider on the reverse measures 43mm so maybe too long for a cap badge ?

There appears to be a snake/serpent around what appears to be some kind of sword, spear or dagger.

Your opinions appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery Badge   Mystery Badge  

?

I’m tempted to suggest it may be a French unit, though have absolutely nothing to support this. The French army has long been fond of unit insignia and this has the ‘look’ - perhaps a colonial unit, hinted by the crescent.
    I shall have a look at available reference…

CBH
    ?

It doesn’t look like a military style attachment pin, more of a stick pin reverse.
    It looks medical with the snake with possibly Turkish influence with the crescent moon.

From what I could find it has something to do with India and Sikhs but not sure what the meaning of it is

Thanks for the replies everyone, my own conclusion is that it is not military (agree with CBH regarding the rear attachment) other than that I may never know but there must surely be more than one out there.....?

Thanks again for looking and commenting.

Could this be African? Perhaps Tribal in nature?

Just a guess,, I did see some similar designs that appeared African in nature, more specific the Congo.

Smitty

Thanks for looking Rakkasan. The African or Middle East theory is sound but as per my earlier post I conclude that whatever it is it is not military in origin.