Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Pagri / Puggaree badges

Article about: Following a recent discussion here I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread on the Pagri or Puggaree badges worn by British and Commonwealth forces begining from the time of the F

Default Lancashire Fusiliers

Here is the Lancashire Fusiliers item I mentioned that was originally on a shoulder strap of the early red tunic, then worn as a pagri badge and finally as a beret badge in Egypt during the emergency in the '50s. I can't think of another example of such a beret badge.

Regards

Mark

bottom pic is from The Imperial War Museum website. This one is mine.
    Pagri / Puggaree badges
    Attached Images Attached Images Pagri / Puggaree badges 
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-26-2023 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Scots Guards bush hat/pagri badge
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pagri / Puggaree badges   Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Here is the Lancashire Fusiliers item I mentioned that was originally on a shoulder strap of the early red tunic, then worn as a pagri badge and finally as a beret badge in Egypt during the emergency in the '50s. I can't think of another example of such a beret badge.

Regards

Mark

bottom pic is from The Imperial War Museum website. This one is mine.
    Pagri / Puggaree badges
    A loose badge for sale Tels Insignia | British Army 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers Flash / Beret Badge
    Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry, his reference to Trieste would in fact concern the 2nd Battalion which was in Trieste whilst 1st Bn was "walking the walk" in Egypt and was disbanded shortly after that posting. I don't know where he gets the idea that this was an "unofficial badge" because it certainly was not. Also, whilst I don't want to cast aspersions the badge in his list looks remarkably "new" and is very cheap compared to what these normally sell for. Look at the fur cap fusilier grenade badges he has listed for much less than the going rate. Just saying!

It takes all sorts right?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Team

reviewing Jerry's post on 2ID Far East "Formation signs and or Puggaree cloth badges", I would like to add these three and note the large size is 55mmx60mm , the smaller variants are 35mmx35mm.

I have always thought of these as Formation signs however seeing the larger size cloth badges on the pug for comparison , could my large 2ID badge be for the pug?

cheers

Phill

Pagri / Puggaree badges
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    Hi Team

reviewing Jerry's post on 2ID Far East "Formation signs and or Puggaree cloth badges", I would like to add these three and note the large size is 55mmx60mm , the smaller variants are 35mmx35mm.

I have always thought of these as Formation signs however seeing the larger size cloth badges on the pug for comparison , could my large 2ID badge be for the pug?

cheers

Phill

Pagri / Puggaree badges
    Yes indeed Phil though just as likely an early BD arm patch. Impossible to be sure without provenance or finding it properly attached to a headdresss I feel.

Regards

Mark

Default The Border Regiment pugarree badge

This one is essentially the Helmet Plate Centre (HPC) previously worn on the Home Service (blue cloth) Helmet but with a slider instead of loops.

It is manufactured that way rather than being a conversion.

It is larger than the standard cap badge and having originated as the HPC has no crown.

Pagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badges

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 07-01-2023 at 05:13 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks for the reply Mark

I always thought it looked out of place size wise with my other formations signs (excluding Airborne Forces)

cheers

Phill

2nd Boer War slouch hat pagri badge for 4th company (Glamorgan) imperial yeomanry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pagri / Puggaree badges   Pagri / Puggaree badges  

Regards,

Jerry

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Here's a nice one I just picked up.

With their cap badge being just about the largest in the British Army the Argylls were one of the units that used a collar badge on the pagri,

Sometimes (more usually for other ranks/enlisted men) in these cases a standard collar badge was used but more properly a purpose made item was employed. This is particularly so with officers items but even so variations in material and quality did pertain

This one is unmarked (tested) silver with a separately applied back plate and is of the same dimensions and orientation (left versus right) as a left side collar badge. The pin, hinge and catch are all silver as well. This one would really sparkle in the sun against the khaki of the pagri and pith helmet.

Regards

Mark

Pagri / Puggaree badgesPagri / Puggaree badges
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-13-2023 at 09:48 AM. Reason: typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2