Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Patches

Article about: Can someone ID these div patches please thought West Kent but seem wrong.

Default Patches

Can someone ID these div patches please thought West Kent but seem wrong.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Patches   Patches  

?

At first glance I thought they might be related to the Province of Westfalen...
    Attached Images Attached Images Patches 
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Me also when I looked at them lol

It does't look like a British item to me or if it is British I don't think it is military. It could be the White Horse of Hannover (as in Westfalen) but the prancing white horse especially on a red ground is quite common internationally and throughout history. Of course as you say it is associated with the county of Kent but the origins there are quite diverse.

Do you have a picture of the reverse? I looks like it is a BeVo type of embroidery.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Very similar to the Westfalen horse - chubby and smiling!

Rear of patch
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Patches  

Hi there

British Army of The Rhine-Hanover District 1948-52 before it was dropped and used the Rhine Army Troops Formation sign.

This is a woven/BEVO construction so would of been made in Hanover or Hamburg 48-52 period.

Phill

Quote by Phill Lockett View Post
    This is a woven/BEVO construction so would of been made in Hanover or Hamburg 48-52 period.Phill
    Well spotted! You are absolutely correct

That's why it doesn't look like a typical British badge.

I served in that area (not that early I hasten to add!) and the White Horse of Hanover on a red ground is to be seen everywhere but I never saw such a poor rendition of that iconic animal

It just goes to show that first impressions are not alway correct

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Hi Mark

This would be a typical theatre made patch for a new organization, a rush job based on the design , so it would be very early on.

Note the turned up edging again typical of early embroiderers stopping the edge from fraying ,either the embroiderer or seamstress would of turned up the edge.

From 1945-55 there were many new Administrative Commands/Districts created to run Germany , as they evolved during that short period ,new organizations and designs were merged or activated with new functions and rolls.

Phill

Thanks Guys