Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag

Article about: Just had a nosey around military stock number codes and this number came up. RN Ensign NSN 8345-99-571-3291 The last 7 numbers are the same as the ensign above. The 'NSN' prefix stands for '

Default Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag

I just recently traded for this British Naval Ensign which is supposed to be of WW2 vintage. The flag is huge and is in great condition and as such I have doubts about its age. Can anyone help me identify this flag, especially by the number on the bunting?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag   Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag  

Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag   Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag  

Default Re: Possible WW2 British Naval Ensign, Flag

Interesting!! I've recently picked up a nice 1942 Ensign, and from the research I have carried out, regarding its size and construction and wool material, mine is from a Battleship.
    I have become more interested in our (British) Naval exploits, specifically our submariners, through work
    I feel this is post war and maybe quite recent

These flags are very hard to date and though the fabric and construction could be WWII, I would expect it to have a size in imperial on a WWII flag, though it might be of that period. The metal fitting looks the same as that on a WWII period Merchant navy flag I used to own, so I would not discount it yet. Sorry if this is a bit vague.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Do they still use hemp or manila rope for the lanyards and are the flags now synthetic or do they still use wool or cotton ?
    Thanks, Dave

The story was that it came from the British aircraft carrier Ark Royal and that it was removed by a signalman from the vessel before it sank off the coast of Bermuda in WW2. It is in great condition, so I thought that maybe it came off of one of later of 5 named vessels "ARK Royal."

There does not seem to be any patina to the brass fittings, plus they look more modern in construction than those on my 1942 dated ensign

Mine is of wool construction

Quote by Destroyah View Post
    The story was that it came from the British aircraft carrier Ark Royal and that it was removed by a signalman from the vessel before it sank off the coast of Bermuda in WW2. It is in great condition, so I thought that maybe it came off of one of later of 5 named vessels "ARK Royal."
    Ark Royal sank around 35 nautical miles off the coast of Gib, nearly 3,400 miles from Bermuda, my great uncle was onboard at the time.

Just saying like......
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Ark Royal sank around 35 nautical miles off the coast of Gib, nearly 3,400 miles from Bermuda, my great uncle was onboard at the time.

Just saying like......
    Are you talking about the WW1 boat Ned, which was in the fact the first ever aircraft carrier to see service

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Are you talking about the WW1 boat Ned, which was in the fact the first ever aircraft carrier to see service
    No. The one that was torpedoed by U-81 on the 13th November 1941 and sank the next day.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    No. The one that was torpedoed by U-81 on the 13th November 1941 and sank the next day.

Sorry Ned, when you said your great uncle was aboard I assumed you meant the WW1 version, my great uncle would have been 119 years old today if he had not been killed in 1917 !!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast