Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Royal Navy Union Jack

Article about: Hi, I'm hoping to get some opinions on this flag. Personally I have mixed feelings but I'm a complete novice when it comes to flags. It is marked with a RN ship pennant number, broad arrow (

?

Default Royal Navy Union Jack

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some opinions on this flag. Personally I have mixed feelings but I'm a complete novice when it comes to flags. It is marked with a RN ship pennant number, broad arrow (facing to the right?) and a date. Construction seems late 40s to 60s (?). I've read these are hard to date so any assistance would be appreciated. Pics to follow.

The seller is “Spanmil”. Do some research on here and I think you will find that they are not the most trusted of sellers!
    It is most likely a period flag but the stamps will be fake. Unfortunately the market is awash with these fake flags (of all sorts) at the moment, and without proper provenance you will struggle to find a real one

?

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    The seller is “Spanmil”. Do some research on here and I think you will find that they are not the most trusted of sellers!
    It is most likely a period flag but the stamps will be fake. Unfortunately the market is awash with these fake flags (of all sorts) at the moment, and without proper provenance you will struggle to find a real one
    Thanks for your reply.

Since posting I've done some more research. It seems to be a late 40s - early 60s flag. As you state this seller has lots of flags with fake stamps, along with numerous other fake items. His provenance was "found it at an antique fair"... Just like the other 100s of stamped flags he has sold I suppose... The stamps do not match any known originals with provenance that I could find. Red flags all over this, I will pass!

You are very wise. The web is alive with devious types with a child's ink stamp set.

?

It’s also not the correct style for a RN vessel, which would use the white ensign (White field, red cross, with union standard in top left quarter).

Quote by wf789 View Post
    His provenance was "found it at an antique fair
    Just to add some perspective, how many such flags do you find on the average collector market? I don't think I have ever see one on an antique fair. I do see similar unmarked ones in "Junk shops" though!

I think I am correct that K215 (not at all sure about the full stop/period either) during WWII would have referred to a Corvette or Frigate which is still not right.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."