The Royal Tank Regiment (RTR) is not an obviously Scottish unit but post-war and until recent force reductions there were four numbered regiments (1 RTR, 2 RTR, 3 RTR and 4 RTR) of which 4 RTR was headquartered in Scotland and recruited there being publicised as "Scotland's own Cavalry Regiment" (I suppose that was deemed appropriate because The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards has a Welsh as well as Scots connection).

Therefore 4 RTR had a pipe band which was established in 1971. I mention that date to illustrate why there is no such thing as a Kings Crown version of the badge I show here.

In 1992 the four numbered regiments became a single one now titled simply The Royal Tank Regiment (RTR). It is the norm when units are amalgamated for certain traditions, symbols etc to be combined into those of the new unit and in this case the pipe band of 4RTR was retained to serve the new un-numbered RTR.

As with other military pipe bands the pipers wear a distinctive cap badge which is usually larger if not of differing design to the rest of the unit. In this case the badge is of the same design but much larger.

There are two variations; the first worn by 4RTR from 1971 - 1992 and the other worn by the new RTR from 1992 although the later pattern would pertain only to new pipers joining post-amalgamation as it is essentially the same badge. Given these dates both bear a Queens Crown and are open die cast with silver plate finish. The essential difference is that the later badges are of higher quality casting with more slender laurel wreath and finer detail. These badges are worn on the Glengarry cap and there is no Tam O'Shanter (TOS) worn by RTR.

The example I show here is the earlier type and is compared to a standard size Other Ranks (enlisted men) beret badge (the regiment does not wear a forage / visor cap). Being silver plated these badges when lightly wiped with metal polish will shine and sparkle to a dazzling degree in sunlight which of course the whole point!

As usual all comment /observation is most welcome.

Royal Tank Regiment pipers cap badgeRoyal Tank Regiment pipers cap badge

Regards

Mark