Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?

Article about: I believe this is a cap (?) badge for the British glider troops, issued between 1942/45. These gliders were not small, they were capable of carrying 25 men and kit. Trying to land these deli

Default WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?

I believe this is a cap (?) badge for the British glider troops, issued between 1942/45.

These gliders were not small, they were capable of carrying 25 men and kit.

Trying to land these delicate silent machines was very difficult and took tremendous skill and bravery.

Casualties were high in the Normandy landings, loads of pictures and films on u-tube, showing them in the Normandy fields.

I saw this in a little shop in Southport, and just had to have it, obviously the rear pin isn't correct but it's still nice.

Maybe it's a arm badge?, Please add any info'

I'm happy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?   WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?  

WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?   WW2 British Glider Troops Cap Badge?  

Last edited by The Devil's Bank; 03-14-2023 at 04:36 PM.

Is this a postwar badge, say 1950's?

I've never seen one being worn..

Yes 1950's.

The brass one is much rarer than the cloth version. It is usually the cloth one you seen in photos.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Yes 1950's.

The brass one is much rarer than the cloth version. It is usually the cloth one you seen in photos.
    The glider device has been worn since WWII by regiments that contributed to the glider units of the airborne forces.

I couldn't say exactly when but the brass version was discontinued decades ago along with brass special to arm and skill at arms badges such as crossed rifles, trumpets, bugles etc in favour of cloth versions in different colours and varying qualities for different regiments and forms of dress etc.

The South Staffordshire Regiment (there was also a North Staffordshire Regiment who did not serve with Airborne Forces and the two were subsequently amalgamated) is one whilst the Border Regiment was another.

The Staffordshire Regiment (as the North and South became) wore the yellow glider on a khaki background.

They were further amalgamated and became 3rd Bn The Mercian Regt. When in 2012 3rd Bn was disbanded the lineage was preserved (these historical vestiges are known as "Golden Threads") by the introduction of a new badge incorporating the Stafford Knot and glider which is worn today on No1 and No2 dress uniforms.

Mercian Regiment Stafford Knot and Glider Badge | eBay

I hope this adds interest to the glider badge topic.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 03-16-2023 at 11:50 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Other regiments also have this distinction for example The Border Regiment which is now part of the Duke of Lancaster's Regiment.

Duke Of Lancaster's Regiment (Glider On Green/Maroon Regimental arm ba

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."