Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

1939 unissued SRD jug

Article about: I haven’t posted anything of my items on the forum in quite some time. So i would thought i would show off an somewhat old purchase i made back in March. This is an unissued ww2 SRD jug made

?

Default 1939 unissued SRD jug

I haven’t posted anything of my items on the forum in quite some time. So i would thought i would show off an somewhat old purchase i made back in March. This is an unissued ww2 SRD jug made by peareon & co? The stamp is very blurry and that is all I could make out. Luckily the 1939 is clear as day

I know it’s unissued since the guy i bought it off of said he picked a crate or container of 6 other unissued srd jugs. Its held up very well and you can still smell the paraffin inside the jug.

Odd this was still made for ww2 , the majority would associate this with ww1. I knew that during ww1 it was some used to make the soldiers happier for trench life by killing time to an extant (and making them a bit drunk). But for ww2 i would never see that be a problem.

Enjoy the photos

1939 unissued SRD jug1939 unissued SRD jug1939 unissued SRD jug1939 unissued SRD jug

?

Found the full manufacturer title
    PEARSON & CO.
    THE POTTERIES
    WHITTINGTON MOOR
    NR. CHESTERFIELD

Turns out the company went out of business around 1994-1996

The SRD officially stands for 'Supply Reserve Depot'. But soldiers had various joke versions, such as 'Soon Runs Dry', 'Service Rum Diluted' and 'Seldom Reaches Destination'. Considering the harrowing and draining nature of combat, alcohol would have been a desirable commodity to steady the nerves, alongside cigarettes.

B.B.

?

I remember hearing the “seldom reaches destination” one before. I want to try get the smaller officer ones now since that would make a nice set along with this one