Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

37 Pattern Webbing Set

Article about: Hello folks. Picked this up over this last week, purchased from a reenactor. It was described as being wartime dated, though not all the markings were photographed. I decided to take a gambl

Ah the "Kingos",

Their regimental museum collection is now housed in the Museum of Liverpool. Have you tried there? Might need an interpreter though eh eh eh

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Well the material tells a tale! I'll keep my eyes open

Regards

Mark

PS Thinking about it, that formation sign in the pic might be 50th (Tyne Tees) Div who did take a dander though Sicily in '43!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-15-2020 at 12:13 AM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Ah the "Kingos",

Their regimental museum collection is now housed in the Museum of Liverpool. Have you tried there? Might need an interpreter though eh eh eh

Regards

Mark
    I always found it odd that he ended up in that regiment, as he was not Liverpudlian by any stretch of the imagination! I have his certificate of service tucked away somewhere, but there’s not much it can tell me that I don’t already know.

I know he was part of the King’s attached to the 4th Infantry Division, as I have one of his shoulder titles and divisional badges to prove it. Ever since I was given those, I’ve wanted to put together a uniform in commemoration of his service.

I think the safest bet will be to find a regular battledress blouse and use that as the base, as the usage of insignia on KD uniforms is hazy at best. I’ve made mistakes in the past as a collector, and this is one thing I’d like to make sure I get right!

B.B.

Those are interesting utility pouches BB. I have a set dated 1941 & 42 and in the original 1939 set up one of these oversized pouches had a 1 inch waist strap to link to the second (rear) pouch. The top buckle took a 1.5 inch wide yoke strap to link the two pouches and they were slung over the shoulder or around the neck but not connected to the rest of the P37 rig. Your pouch has two lower web loops, as if for belt attachment. I've never seen that modification before. Are your pouches a set, or two "female" pouches (for want of a better description) , or a field variation brought in later?

37 Pattern Webbing Set

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Those are interesting utility pouches BB. I have a set dated 1941 & 42 and in the original 1939 set up one of these oversized pouches had a 1 inch waist strap to link to the second (rear) pouch. The top buckle took a 1.5 inch wide yoke strap to link the two pouches and they were slung over the shoulder or around the neck but not connected to the rest of the P37 rig. Your pouch has two lower web loops, as if for belt attachment. I've never seen that modification before. Are your pouches a set, or two "female" pouches (for want of a better description) , or a field variation brought in later?

37 Pattern Webbing Set
    I’m not sure, honestly. I’m a relative newcomer to 37 Pattern web equipment. This set was owned by a reenactor prior to me, so it’s possible he found two of those ‘female’ pouches, and assembled them for his convenience. Though to my eyes, this set has been together for far longer than that.

B.B.

What size in inches does the top brass buckle take, 1 inch or 1 1/2 inch?

Never seen this type of belt loops either, interesting, as these don't to me appear to be Bren gunner no. 2 pouches.

Could the belt loops be a post war modification?

No as I can't see any modification, these are the cheapened versions Austerity types (I think I got that right) I believe. And in my parts not common. Also Canadian Bren no. 2 shown.

Hey BB can you whip one off the belt and show the rear? to see if there was any remnant stitching? If there was you'll see something like this. (Factory Aust WW2 fault repair)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast