Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

37 Pattern Webbing Set

Article about: Hello folks. Picked this up over this last week, purchased from a reenactor. It was described as being wartime dated, though not all the markings were photographed. I decided to take a gambl

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I always found it odd that he ended up in that regiment, as he was not Liverpudlian by any stretch of the imagination! I have his certificate of service tucked away somewhere, but there’s not much it can tell me that I don’t already know.

I know he was part of the King’s attached to the 4th Infantry Division, as I have one of his shoulder titles and divisional badges to prove it. Ever since I was given those, I’ve wanted to put together a uniform in commemoration of his service.

I think the safest bet will be to find a regular battledress blouse and use that as the base, as the usage of insignia on KD uniforms is hazy at best. I’ve made mistakes in the past as a collector, and this is one thing I’d like to make sure I get right!

B.B.
    It's not as unusual as it might seem. In wartime once manpower was turned from the "raw material" of the new recruit into something like a soldier it was farmed out to where it was needed and their are many such examples. It was very common in WWI and in WWII my father-in-law who was from Canterbury in Kent (about as far South as you can get before getting wet for non-Brits reading this) served in The Royal Scots Greys!

I think you are probably right about the BD thing though. I'll still keep an eye out though!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Pardon the late reply, guys. Had to turn in for the night.

The pouches are attached pretty firmly to the belt, and I don't want to take the set apart for fear of not being able to get it back together again. I have taken some photographs of the rear of the pouches, and I cannot see any remains of old stitching, only the reinforcing stitches running up the middle of each. There are some ink lines on the back of one pouch, apparently indicating where the belt loop was to be stitched.

37 Pattern Webbing Set37 Pattern Webbing Set

Regards, B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    The pouches are attached pretty firmly to the belt, and I don't want to take the set apart for fear of not being able to get it back together again.
    Yep, it can be a pig to handle at times but don't worry it comes with practice and always goes back together especially indoors in your hobby space. All canvass webbing is the same. You should try it when it is cold, soaking wet and in the dark when you are tired, pissed off and under pressure

Just kidding

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, it can be a pig to handle at times but don't worry it comes with practice and always goes back together especially indoors in your hobby space. All canvass webbing is the same. You should try it when it is cold, soaking wet and in the dark when you are tired, pissed off and under pressure

Just kidding

Mark
    Hopefully I never have to fiddle about with webbing of any kind under those circumstances! Though if WW3 kicks off soon, who knows...

B.B.

Just a little off topic but regarding '37 patt webbing in general.

Before Nick Hall of Sabre Sales in Southsea, Portsmouth shut up shop he had an absolute mountain of the stuff including some very unusual pieces most of which were wartime dated. Does anybody know what happened to his stock? There was literally tons of it.

Regards

Mark

Looks like both pouches were manufactured with webbing belt loops which is unusual, two different makers but same year. Worth a bit of further digging.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Looks like both pouches were manufactured with webbing belt loops which is unusual, two different makers but same year. Worth a bit of further digging.
    I had no idea this configuration was unusual. I'll see what I can dig up, but I'm new to 37 Pattern webbing in general, so perhaps that's a task best left to those with a greater level of expertise. I'll roam the internet and see what I can find. Maybe there's even an answer somewhere on this forum!

B.B.

Hey BB here's a near complete Aust set, just short a froggy! lateish war.

Easy to disassemble ya..... Tool

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3