Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Antique shop Find, mystery Gaiters

Article about: Thought this would be pretty interesting thread! Today I picked up these two ww2 British gaiters for £8 each from my local antique shop. The antique shop had 4 for sale when I got there, th

?

Default Antique shop Find, mystery Gaiters

Thought this would be pretty interesting thread!

Today I picked up these two ww2 British gaiters for £8 each from my local antique shop. The antique shop had 4 for sale when I got there, the owner said all of them were the same except one had a brown leather part rather Than black out of the 4. When I took them home my dad said “those don’t look like your usual soldiers gaiters” and that Lead to me investigate who these gaiters were for.

So to get this part out the way. Maker is Mark is N.L. Co 1943 size 3 for both all with crows foots with extra stamps at the bottom. Both are unissued with the original string holding the sets together. The 4 leather straps are green on the outside for both as well. Only difference as mentioned is the colour of leather but that isn’t the main point here.

The main point being who were these gaiters used by? This seems to be quite an interesting discussion on the internet with the idea it’s the Royal Navy., dispatch riders and even South African/ Rhodesia soldiers get a mention.

There is nothing else to add these these two links don’t mention.

C & Co high Anklets 1944

Four Buckle Anklets – Tales from the Supply Depot

Have you guys any thoughts on the matter? I am not too knowledgeable to give my thoughts on the matter. I like the dispatch rider and Royal Navy one the best. I think it’s a pretty cool “mystery item” to have! Still two for sale at £8 each at the shop

Thanks for having a look!
    John

Antique shop Find, mystery GaitersAntique shop Find, mystery GaitersAntique shop Find, mystery GaitersAntique shop Find, mystery Gaiters

I'd lean towards them being dispatch rider gaiters myself. Googling 'WW2 dispatch rider gaiters' turns up a lot of similar examples.

B.B.

?

My only fear regarding that is what is mentioned in one of the links

“ Dispatch Riders- An outside chance on this one, it would explain the wear, but there are thousands of good photographs of dispatch riders and none so far have been positively identified as wearing these anklets.”

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    When I took them home my dad said “those don’t look like your usual soldiers gaiters” and that Lead to me investigate who these gaiters were for.
    Hi John,
    if I recall correctly you previously mentioned that your old man is ex-army?

Well he clearly knows what is and isn't "Army looking"

I believe I am correct in saying that these are Royal Navy 1919 pattern anklets produced during WWII (obviously with that date).

I think the "quick" recognition feature between early and late is that early ones had webbing straps and later ones had leather although I think those in current use (for parade dress only) have reverted to webbing straps.

My son is RN and he was in the Queen Elizabeth when the picture in your link was taken.

I will ask him about the current ones and see if he can produce a picture for comparison.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Yeah my dad is ex army!

Hahah yeah my dad did say they were too tall looking. Any more information would be of great help.

Overall I am inclined with your information plus the links to agree with the ww2 Royal Navy theory!

I have sent him a text but they are preparing to deploy (he's not in the QE now but a Type 45) as soon as he replies (if it is sensible, he is a matelot when all is said and done ) I will post it here.

I do know they are worn in No1A Dress (which is No1 one dress but armed) and during my Army service the ones I saw were just like yours but whitened (with tennis shoe whitener rather than blanco, I'm not that old!) and had webbing straps. So let's see what Jolly Jack Tar has to say about the ones he uses

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I've only ever seen this type with brown leather straps.