Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

'Boring' WW2 British 2-gal petrol can

Article about: This is obviously not scarce or 'sexy', but I've been on the lookout for a decent one for museum display. Found this via a trusted UK dealer ; 1943 dated, no holes, nice clean condition and

Arrow 'Boring' WW2 British 2-gal petrol can

This is obviously not scarce or 'sexy', but I've been on the lookout for a decent one for museum display. Found this via a trusted UK dealer ; 1943 dated, no holes, nice clean condition and colour. I like the patina which to me is right for the age.......and not expensive.

Nice find. How badly does it stink when you unscrew the cap?

B.B.

Lightbulb

Actually, hardly at all. The cap unscrews very cleanly, and there's just a very faint smell of paraffin which probably indicates its' post-war use.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Actually, hardly at all. The cap unscrews very cleanly, and there's just a very faint smell of paraffin which probably indicates its' post-war use.
    That's good to hear. Had to get rid of a 20l jerrycan once because it absolutely stank of petrol. Not a problem if you're planning on using one on a military vehicle, but more of an issue if you're planning on keeping it indoors!

B.B.

Wink

Hold on....I'll just strike a match to see if there's anything at the bottom of the can.....

Hold on....I'll just strike a match to see if there's anything at the bottom of the can.....
    That's one way to clean your sinuses out, I suppose!

B.B.

Lightbulb

As a follow-up to this, noticed the manufacturers name 'Valor' ( familiar to some of us as makers of those smelly paraffin heaters of pre-central heating days ). Established in Birmingham in 1890, the name continues today, despite the usual mergers, buy-outs etc.

Home | Valor

I don't think they'd be interested in selling you a 2-gallon petrol can, though......

This is obviously not scarce or 'sexy', but I've been on the lookout for a decent one for museum display. Found this via a trusted UK dealer ; 1943 dated, no holes, nice clean condition and colour. I like the patina which to me is right for the age.......and not expensive.

Not boring at all but a fairly iconic piece of Commonwealth militaria.

Yes it was the perfect design and it was replaced by copying the famous "Jerrycan" and yes it is not that rare but as you discovered not that easy to find nowadays in decent condition.

They didn't really last long enough in use to be returned and re-filled like the more robust Jerrycan but they did do great service when re-purposed as "Benghazi Burners" (in the European Theatre too!). I wonder how many are still soldiering on as plant pots in Egyptian and Libyan homes or restaurants.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'd rather look at that than primer-covered old half-track bits! :-)

Iv'e just read ,The man that broke into Auschwitz by Denis Avery. There's mention of a couple of extra uses for empty petrol cans in the chapters about his service in north Africa. Great read regards Paul