Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British Anti gas items

Article about: Hi Guys, the respirator was the main peice of anti gas equipment issued but other items were also a very important part of the kit issue. War gases come in various forms. A lot of gases were

Default Re: British Anti gas items

Quote by Whitehunter View Post
    Please please please post your finding !! we would love to see
    lol I didnt think anyone would be interested, got some well weird things with old company logos in awkward places, so I guess its mandatory for me to post findings (in a new thread) to see if anyone as usual can help me ID, forgot to mention I found some 1943 and 1945 plates too. it says "real bone china 1945" or something

I made an interesting purchase today. Firstly one anti gas glove , unfortunately not a pair but beggars cant be choosers!
    British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items

And with it came this crispy crumpled mess which I thought might be a anti gas hood or a cape. When I got it home i carefully started to warm it with a hair dryer on a low setting. As it warmed the material started to relax and i could peel it apart and open it up. It turned into some anti gas trouser tops, the lower legs were too crispy and damaged to do much with though. I can't find any information about anti gas trousers though so i thought it would be worth posting some pictures.
    The waist is a string draw cord which passes through brass eyelets and has brass eyelets on the ends of the string. The remains of 3 hanging loops are around the waist, their may of been 4 originally.
    British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items
    They had belonged to an officer of the RAMC attached to the Paras.

I found a picture of the trousers in Jean Bouchery's book "The British Soldier volume 1".British Anti gas items
    British Anti gas items

I think this is a photograph of them being worn in Gordon's "Equipment of the ww2 Tommy" although no specific mention of the trousers.British Anti gas items

It does mention the gloves were not general issue and only issued to those heading into contaminated areas.

Here is a great video of a decontamination exercise on the London Midland Region Railway, only available to UK viewers I guess though.
    Watch Repairing Track After Mustard Gas Attack online - BFI Player

It shows a great variety of equipment and several different capes. The leggings shown are a lighter version of the Firemans oilskin leggings.

Hello, very nice items, I only know the gloves!!! Thanks Ade!
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Here's a cape I think is Aust made? Can't find any markings.

?

Looks like the combination rain poncho (tropical?) and ground sheet . Mine are unmarked as well.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    Looks like the combination rain poncho (tropical?) and ground sheet . Mine are unmarked as well.
    I think you might be right there, Cheers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3