Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British army hoe 1941

Article about: by Watchdog That is a 1908 Pattern (WWII dated obviously) "Tool Entrenching" often referred to in equipment tables as a Mattock. The later pattern most seen in the WWII context has

Benpeculiar where sheep fly sideways! I only ever did Lance there!

ILH
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Sometimes they are also called "Pick, Mattock" in military nomenclature as Ron (Vegetius) pointed out which seems kind of back to front but means it is a type of pick known as a Mattock.

I believe this type would be more common amongst non-infantry (vehicle borne) units whereas the other type with the bayonet attachment which was incorporated into the '37 patt webbing also doubled up as a close quarter weapon.

Attachment 1501433

Regards

Mark
    Sorry, quite a few corections to be made here;
    The original name for this device is "Sirhind Tool", after the area of India it came from.

The army name for it was "Implement Intrenching" or "entrenching" (depending on the LoC) originally for 1908 webbing, dropped from service, and brought back for 1937attern after the 1939 pattern tool (looked like the German one) was ditched.
    As far as I am aware it was never officially called a Mattock or a pick-mattock as those are slightly different tools also used by the army.

As to the helves... That is a lovely ww2 or earlier example.
    The ones with the bayonet fitting did not exist before 1944 and very few were issued before VE day.
    They were a General Service item, no specific to the vehicle born (or airborne as some others have claimed over the years).
    The spike bayonet fitting was so it could be used as a mine probe, not for combat.

Pattern 1908 Web Equipment

Quote by ILH View Post
    Sorry, quite a few corections to be made here;

As far as I am aware it was never officially called a Mattock or a pick-mattock as those are slightly different tools also used by the army.
    So, for my entire army service I and my colleagues were all totally mis-reading our equipment tables?

I bow to superior knowledge
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I wish someone had told RSM Veach (Scot's Guard) my life would have been considerably easier.

One I have, before the mine probe bit. God knows who made it?

ILH
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    So, for my entire army service I and my colleagues were all totally mis-reading our equipment tables?

I bow to superior knowledge
    According to Kharkee web it all depends on what happened from the1960 LoC ... ToEs may have listed it differently, because the army can even confuse itself, It would be great to see a copy of it/them.

"L. of C. §C6024, approved in 1954, revised the Patt. ’37 Entrenching tool to Mk. 1 status. No copy of the 1960 edition of C.C.N. is to hand, but that for 1965 shows no Carrier under Web Equipment Patt. ’37. It is not known whether this was because the Tool had been made obsolete, or the Carrier had been transferred back to V.A.O.S. Section J1."

AIF
    ?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    One I have, before the mine probe bit. God knows who made it?
    Rene it seems that you have actually posted different 2 styles of small hole diggers there mate!

Quote by AIF View Post
    Rene it seems that you have actually posted different 2 styles of small hole diggers there mate!
    Yep had to whack in the other type, the 2nd style is very effective but very erratic in operation!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-10-2021 at 02:56 AM. Reason: added text

Rene,

I have one very similar to yours, it is WW1 period. I will have a look at the weekend if it has the Z mark on the pick.

R

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Yep had to whack in the other type, the 2nd style is very effective but very erratic in operation!
    I think I can clear that up, the first type is the GS model the seccond is the GR(rrrrrrrr)

(I'm here all week! )
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast