Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Empire Web Rifle Slings

Article about: Sling, rifle, web Presented below are twelve webbing rifle slings made in the British Empire between 1917-1945. First introduced in 1901, these slings are often associated with various patte

?

Default British Empire Web Rifle Slings

Sling, rifle, web

Presented below are twelve webbing rifle slings made in the British Empire between 1917-1945. First introduced in 1901, these slings are often associated with various patterns of personal web equipment, however, these slings were never given a Pattern Year. The original specification called for a length of 46 inches with length adjustment by means of hooks locking onto the beaded edge of the webbing. Originally, the maker mark and date of manufacture were stamped into the brass catches, so they would still be visible after usage and blancoing. Sometime in the late 1930s, the maker mark and date started being ink stamped into the webbing.

Early production of these slings was mostly centered in England, but during the Second World War, South Africa, Canada, India and Australia all began producing these slings locally. Many of these slings were blancoed for parade use in the postwar period.

For more information on these slings, check out Karkee Web at the link below…

Weapons: Slings

Many thanks to my good friend, Sean Paul, for helping me add a number of the scarce examples to this collection!

A) WRIGHTS LTD
    This is a classic ‘sling, rifle, web’ from the Great War period. Note the maker mark and date stamped into the brass catch at this time. Wright’s Ltd. is likely Michael Wright & Sons, Limited of Quorn, England.

A) WRIGHTS LTD
    This sling features a Broad Arrow stamp on the webbing portion of the sling.

B) Ca18
    This sling was produced in India during the Great War by Government Harness & Saddlery Factory, Cawnpore. Again, the maker mark and date are stamped into the brass catch.

B) Ca18
    On the opposite brass catch, an ‘I↑M’ stamp is present. This likely refers to the Indian Munitions Board, which was set up in April 1917 to develop Indian resources for the supply of large quantities of material to India, Mesopotamia, East Africa and Egypt. According to the Indian Munitions Board Industrial Handbook 1919, the Buckingham and Carnatic Mills of Madras supplied 25,000 yards of “Khaki webbing (for rifle slings)” monthly. This webbing was likely finished at the Government Harness & Saddlery Factory, Cawnpore.

B) Ca18
    Interestingly, this Indian sling also features a British Repair stamp (the letter ‘R’ surmounted by a Broad Arrow). This repair stamp likely dates from sometime between 1918 to 1921, though it is unclear what part of this sling was repaired.

C) M.E.Cọ 1921
    This sling was made by the Mills Equipment Company, Limited in 1921 and features a half-stamped Union of South Africa ownership mark (a Broad Arrow within the letter ‘U’).

D) M.W.&S. 1929
    This interwar sling was made by Michael Wright & Sons, Limited of Quorn, England in 1929. As with the previously shown slings, the maker mark and date as stamped into the brass catches.

E) M.E.Cọ 1936
    This sling was found in South Africa and was made by Mills in 1936. The Union Defence Force ordered Braithwaite Web Equipment from 1934-36 and it is likely that this sling was purchased to go along with the new equipment. It appears to have been produced in a lighter khaki shade as well, similar to the Braithewaite webbing.

F) M.W.&S. LTD. 1940
    This wartime sling was made by Michael Wright & Sons, Limited of Quorn, England in 1940. Note the ink stamp, which had replaced the stamped brass markings by this date. Interestingly, the markings on this sling are in the middle of the webbing, rather than on one end, as found on the majority of other examples. Note also that a Broad Arrow ownership mark is stamped at the same time as the maker information, another development of the late 1930s.

G) M.E.Cọ 1941
    This early war sling was made by Mills in 1941. In addition to the Broad Arrow ownership mark stamped with the maker information, there is a separately-applied inspectors’ stamp (a Broad Arrow surmounting the inspector’s code).

H) M.E.Cọ 1942
    Similar in most respects to the previous sling, this Mills example is roughly two inches longer than the previous sling. This manufacturing variation is surprising from Mills, which set the standard for webbing production in the Empire.

I) D.I.F. & CO. LTD. 1940
    This fascinating sling was made in Johannesburg, South Africa by Daniel Isaac Fram & Company, Limited in 1940. It is interesting to note that it is made in the earlier style with the maker name and date of manufacture stamped into the brass catches. Note the use of copper for the adjustment hooks and hose rivets. This sling is also made in a distinctive greenish shade, similar to the green Lewis Gun drum pouches made by Fram in 1941.

I) D.I.F. & CO. LTD. 1940
    The Union of South Africa ownership mark (a Broad Arrow within the letter ‘U’) is faintly visible in black ink just below this brass catch.

J) Z.L.&T. LTD. 1941
    This Canadian-made sling was made by Zephyr Looms & Textiles, Limited of Guelph, Ontario in 1941. Note the Canadian ownership mark (a Broad Arrow within the letter ‘C’)

K) Ca1942
    This Indian sling was made by the Government Harness & Saddlery Factory, Cawnpore. In addition to the maker mark and date, there is a poorly-stamped Inspector’s stamp in the form of C↑##. During the war, the Government of India contracted out to a plethora of small Indian firms for the production of brass components for web equipment. The components are often marked with the initials of the firm and the date of manufacture of the brass fitting itself. This marked brass leads to much confusion among collectors today, as you can find items like slings that were assembled in 1945 with 1942 dated brass fittings.

L) D↑D
    This wartime Australian sling lacks a maker mark, but features an Australian Department of Defence ownership stamp (a Broad Arrow flanked on both sides by the letter ‘D’). Note the colored ink used for the marking, a wartime economy measure to conserve black ink.

L) D↑D
    In addition to the Department of Defence stamp, this sling has an Inspectors’ stamp (a Broad Arrow surmounting the inspector’s code). Australian inspectors’ codes typically consist of letters, rather than numbers. Additionally, greenish striations are visible in the webbing on this example, which is another common feature of Australian manufactured webbing.

?

Nice reference photos , thanks for sharing .
    Cheers Rick

Again great thread and nice to see you back Michael Mate!

Another Canadian rivet style. Unmarked or faded out?

?

It's been a while...It's nice to see you too René!

?

Those slings look like they are Australian production to me, given the style of the rivets and the thin beaded edge of the webbing...It would also explain the lack of markings

Fabulous piece of work Karkee.

Here's a couple from my collection; "WRIGHTS LTD 1916" on the SMLE and a faint but readable stamped "BAGCRAFT LTD 1944" on the other sling.

Last edited by Anderson; 08-31-2020 at 01:08 AM.

Great info on the slings. Thank You!
    John

?

British Empire Web Rifle SlingsBritish Empire Web Rifle SlingsBritish Empire Web Rifle Slings

I am rather suspicious of a Canadian sling I bought a few days ago - it bears an unusual 5 - 1942 C Broad Arrow stamp and was sold to me as original... Could you tell me whether there is a chance it is a genuine WW2 Canadian sling?

I think it's good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast