Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Browning M2 tripod help!

Article about: heres a pic of the markings on a british tripod ,with a vehicle reg stamped on it ,i believe it was a centurian tank ,,i sold it along with the gun some years aggo

ian
    ?

Default Re: Browning M2 tripod help!

Browning M2 tripod help!heres a pic of the markings on a british tripod ,with a vehicle reg stamped on it ,i believe it was a centurian tank ,,i sold it along with the gun some years aggo

Well, Isaw 1919 Brownings in service in Australia in 1977 in their Ferret scout cars but I don't know about tripods. It would follow that they would have them however. I don't know if they were .30 or 7.62. Peter would be aware of those markings too however... The AMC would likely stand for American Motors Corp. They built parts like everyone else because of their metal stamping capabilities. The Centurion story could be correct too because I trained off the backs of them and yes, they had those present.

If you post some pics Jamie, I'm sure we can ID it.[/QUOTE]

Hi m3bobby

i finally dug the replacement tripod out of the cupboard and took some pics. There are no holes in the feet (so i guess its not israeli) there is no holes on the front leg, so i dont think there was a data plate attatched???? under the base plate there are a few stampings a capital "E" and a 15, there is also what i can only describe as a hammer, what looks like a hammerhead shark shape, there is also a 15 stamped under each rear leg.

Underneath the bar where the range markings are is stamped C 59333 E P C, and there are various number stamps on the legs, and the symbol a capitol L in a larger capitol c appears a few times so maybe this is the maker? i would love to know if this is a ww2 era tripod, i doubt it but maybe the pics of the markings would be able to help one of the many knowledgeable forum members date it.
    Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!Browning M2 tripod help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2