Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

cleaning p37 webbing

Article about: Hello there During my latest weekend adventure I acquired the following belt and large pack, however both are somewhat grubby. the pack and the accompanying L straps have quite a bit of dirt

Default cleaning p37 webbing

Hello there

During my latest weekend adventure I acquired the following belt and large pack, however both are somewhat grubby. the pack and the accompanying L straps have quite a bit of dirt and water staining, while the belt has some kind of white stuff spattered on top of a grungy coat of Blanco. after doing a bit of research I've seen the idea floating around of using a bit of woolite and gently scrubbing. Is this a good idea or is it likely to remove the writing and stamping? Any opinions or suggestions on the best way to go about trying to clean these (or if I even should) are appreciated.

Apache8

cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing

Blancoed side left
    unBlancoed side right
    cleaning p37 webbing

Lightbulb

I'm not an expert on this, but I can offer what has worked for me. I've collected a fair amount of 37 Pattern kit over the years, some of which has been in absolutely filthy condition.
    I've avoided any use of abrasive or (especially) chemical cleaners. All I've done is to soak the item in warm water with a very small amount of normal, normal-strength clothes-washing detergent, followed by rinsing and leaving to dry. This hasn't returned the items to 'as new' condition, but has removed a lot of unsightly dirt and staining and, most importantly, hasn't degraded any markings. Any areas of heavier staining ( eg oil, grease ), I've gently rubbed over with a sponge soaked in a stronger water/detergent mix.
    ( It's worth adding that, if the item has been lying around for nearly 80 years, it can be holding a lot of dust which the above method tackles very well ).

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    I'm not an expert on this, but I can offer what has worked for me. I've collected a fair amount of 37 Pattern kit over the years, some of which has been in absolutely filthy condition.
    I've avoided any use of abrasive or (especially) chemical cleaners. All I've done is to soak the item in warm water with a very small amount of normal, normal-strength clothes-washing detergent, followed by rinsing and leaving to dry. This hasn't returned the items to 'as new' condition, but has removed a lot of unsightly dirt and staining and, most importantly, hasn't degraded any markings. Any areas of heavier staining ( eg oil, grease ), I've gently rubbed over with a sponge soaked in a stronger water/detergent mix.
    ( It's worth adding that, if the item has been lying around for nearly 80 years, it can be holding a lot of dust which the above method tackles very well ).
    +1 and with dish washing liquid with hot water

?

Not canvas, But I used a couple drops of DAWN dishwashing liquid in a bucket of water and used a soft sponge to clean the grim off of my B-4 life preserver.
    For the straps I used the tried and true method taught to me by the Marine Corps. Its how we scrubbed/cleaned our web belts and other web gear.

What we used was Barbasol shaving cream.
    We would wet the item down with water then apply the shaving cream, We would then use a soft bristle brush to scrub it, then rinse and let dry in the sun.

Good luck with this if you proceed with what was suggested.
    I would be interested in seeing your results when your done.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I would use warm water and a touch of Dawn dish soap on the soft bristled brush and lightly brush.

Phil, I’ve never used shaving cream always used dawn to clean my gear. I’ll have to try that next time.

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    I would use warm water and a touch of Dawn dish soap on the soft bristled brush and lightly brush.

Phil, I’ve never used shaving cream always used dawn to clean my gear. I’ll have to try that next time.
    Shaving foam works a little like the cleaning foams designed for the purpose but is less aggressive in the chemicals it contains. Consider the point that you are meant to rub it on your face and you get the idea. You wouldn't use carpet shampoo to shave with would you?

We used to use shaving foam for many cleaning applications from polishing the peak (visor) on uniform caps to removing greasy stains from lighter coloured fabric items;

For the visor, gently rub the foam with a clean soft cloth in tiny circles (like spit polishing or "bulling" to us Brits) until nearly dry then rinse off with a little clean cold water and buff with a dry soft cloth.

For greasy stains, spray directly on the stain enough to wet it then allow to dry after which use a soft clothes brush or nail brush to remove the dried foam and the stain.

Another method for grease on fabric is to do the same thing with fly spray (it contains more solvent). Just experiment first before trying it on anything you consider important

As for the webbing the best method of all is the mild soak and warm water described above. Don't scrub unless you really have to as that will make the surface of the webbing "fluffy" and you might just swap the stain for a light patch of colour loss!

Remember, as mentioned above that you cannot achieve a "brand new" appearance so it is a judgement call really.

One method we used to use on our '58 and later patterns when our gear got covered in mud in the field was one that sounds drastic but works if you want the "field used" look was to brush off as much crud as possible then put the whole section / platoons webbing on the drill square then use a fire hose and bass brooms to give it a good rinsing

Webbing is meant to withstand wet and harsh conditions. Just don't use strong chemicals.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-24-2021 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

"Phil, I’ve never used shaving cream always used dawn to clean my gear. I’ll have to try that next time."

It's what we used/were taught in Boot Camp in 1979. Wash rack Pre Dawn days!!!!
    It has always done a great job.

We used a soft bristle brush to avoid the Fluffing Steve mentioned above!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

for anyone who is interested here are the results for the belt and the straps (I'm still working on trying to find a bucket big enough for the pack). I allowed them to soak in the hot water with a couple drops of dish soap and then used the shaving cream method on the dirtier parts and left it all to dry out in the sun. overall I would say this was very effective a bunch of the dirt came out along with most of the Blanco on the belt, this also worked well at taking the stiffness out of the straps. the markings were almost all fine and some fairly faint ones were made clearer afterword's. the only issue I had was with what I think was a service number written in pen on the belt which mostly came out, it is still faintly there however I would recommend caution to anyone who tries this in the future with markings written in pen, all the ink stamps or writing in marker were perfectly fine though.

A big thanks to everyone who helped out with this.
    Apache8

cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing
    cleaning p37 webbing

Looks good and great advice from all. I do not like dirt or rust unless it has direct provenance to the item. Poor storage of or gunk from the past 70 years is not desirable and does not contribute to the history. This is all IMHO and I am an outlier to the leave it as is concept.
    John