Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Compass less susceptible to ferromagnetic from a steel structure

Article about: Dear Experts I am a telecom field tech working near a steel tower looking to get a hand-held compass is that less susceptible to ferromagnetic from the steel structure (i.e lattice tower) an

zillah
    ?

Default Compass less susceptible to ferromagnetic from a steel structure

Dear Experts

I am a telecom field tech working near a steel tower looking to get a hand-held compass is that less susceptible to ferromagnetic from the steel structure (i.e lattice tower) and can verify the azimuth that is already in a log book.
    Yes I am aware that I can go further from the tower but that is not convenient and not always possible
    I prefer it if it can a read a true azimuth as we are using true azimuth in a design not a magnetic one,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yes I am aware that we can plus or minus declination depend on the zone you are .
    Any recommendation which one should I buy and use?

Thanks

?

Try a Suunto or Garmin GPS tool with integrated compass.

?

Years ago I worked very briefly with a surveying company. They had compasses that were encased in aluminum or brass that were not affected by the steel from the tripods. I have no idea who made them but I am sure that a Google search for a surveyors compass might yield some results if you don't get a better answer here. Good luck!

zillah
    ?

Thanks guys