Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Gas masks and Asbestos.

Article about: Its Canadian.The broad arrow mark is within a 'C'.

I have just been Glue-ing up my gas masks and found this the best way to do it.

Mix up Builders PVA in a disposable water bottle 4 parts water to one part PVA.
    Hold the canister in a rag between your knees to catch any overspill. Cut the corner off a small plastic sandwich bag and insert the bag into the air inlet slot. Pour the PVA into the bag a small amount at a time, it fills up quite quickly so just go slowly. When it fills up move to the next slot and repeat.

I then let it settle and repeat. This ensures the filter is saturated in the mixture.

I will let the canisters dry for a week in a warm area before putting them back in the bag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas masks and Asbestos.   Gas masks and Asbestos.  

Wish I'd thought of that before! I just poured the glue straight into the filter on mine, until it set enough to form a skin across both inlet slots. Takes a lot of glue and a bit of luck, as it relies on air bubbles forming as the glue sets.

Gas masks and Asbestos.

Regards, B.B.

I am sure that way works as well, I just like the idea of the filter being set solid.

Quote by Roger M View Post
    I am sure that way works as well, I just like the idea of the filter being set solid.
    When it comes to materials like asbestos, the reassurance is more than worth the extra effort.

B.B.

As a plumber for many years I have enough other asbestos risks to worry about !

Here is a picture from the book 'British Military Respirators and Anti-Gas Equipment of the Two World Wars' and clearly shows the two blue grey asbestos filters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Gas masks and Asbestos.  

The TLDR is:

- All GS Respirators contain 80% wool, 20% blue asbestos
    - Any Small Child, General Civilian or Civilian Duty Respirators with a green band painted on them use resin-impregnated wool, no asbestos
    - Any "contex" (pre) filters attached to Small Child, General Civilian or Civilian Duty Respirators are full of nothing but resin-impregnated wool
    - The Small Child, General Civilian or Civilian Duty Respirators with the afforementioned contex filters attached to the front DO contain 20% white asbestos and will not have a green band painted on the body
    - Light Anti-Gas Respirator Containers were never issued with asbestos and only ever used resin-impregnated wool

Porton Down, 1989

Tldr?

?

Found these photos,
    I figured these would be worth adding here as some members may find this interesting.
    Gas masks and Asbestos.
    Gas masks and Asbestos.
    Gas masks and Asbestos.

It really puts into perspective how small these particles are and why sealing them in with PVA glue is important.

Regards,
    Daniel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4