Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.

Article about: My grandfather was in ww1,he was 102 when he died.These boxes were given to the grandsons I got two.He bought a dozen of these for 1.00 each at a military surplus auction,this was many many

Default Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.

My grandfather was in ww1,he was 102 when he died.These boxes were given to the grandsons I got two.He bought a dozen of these for 1.00 each at a military surplus auction,this was many many years ago.Hardwood dovetail const.boxes with a leather handle.Here are some pics of them,still very solid but some of paint is flaking off on lids.Two different calibers looks like.One has a round cut out for strap,other an oval.One is maker marked on inside bottom,other just ink stamp of cartridge.What are these for,machine gun or rifles?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.   Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.  

Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.   Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.  

Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.   Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.  

If it remember correctly the oval cut is WWI and the round cut is WWII. Both M1917 MG ammo boxes. Please correct me if I am wrong. The boxes were repainted at some time IMHO. Nice acquisition.
    John

Yes US army M1917 MG ammo boxes.

THanks guys,appreciate it!

Greetings,

Here is a 1920 dated image showing the same type of ammunition box in use on a training range.

Best,

V/r Lance

?

Hi,
    The paint looks ok for me. Beautiful boxes.
    My boxes (4 different models):
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.   Grandfathers wood ammo boxes,what are they for,help appreciated.  

Thanks for showing your boxes,very nice!Great pic of box in use too,appreciate it,yeah paint looks old and original IMO,the inside was never painted,I know my Granpa didn't paint them,can you imagine stacks of these for 1.00 each.He just used them to store things.Probably bought right after ww2 ,70 years ago.