Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help need with British optic item Please

Article about: I picked this up and not sure what it is from ,if its just part of a large optic or a stand alone item , Has anyone seen one of these before ? thank you for any help

Default Help need with British optic item Please

I picked this up and not sure what it is from ,if its just part of a large optic or a stand alone item , Has anyone seen one of these before ? thank you for any help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help need with British optic item Please   Help need with British optic item Please  

Help need with British optic item Please   Help need with British optic item Please  

Help need with British optic item Please   Help need with British optic item Please  

Interesting item, all I can tell you is Ross made a lot of sights for naval guns.

Don't know exactly but it is clearly a monocular by Ross of London who have made many opitics for the British military (all branches) for a very long time.
    Some monoculars are hand held "Dismounted" equipments used for spotting etc but I don't think this one is from the pics (an indication of size would help rule out hand held usage) and it incorporates a power unit suggesting an illuminated graticule. In older technology this would make it somewhat heavy for a portable hand held item although I get the impression of a small overall size here from the scale of lettering and screwheads etc. Also an educated guess suggests to me that the 'G' in G.737 (clearly a model / pattern number) indicates "Gun" so this is perhaps a ancillary equipment for an artillery piece or similar?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for your input , its 7cm in lenght so small in size so could be hand held , it has a cross hair in it going from 0-30 and has the filter that slides across from using the handle , i have looked at all sorts of gun sights online but cant find this anywhere