Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

How to properly fit British Cold war ankle putties?

Article about: I was recently wearing some British Cold war DMS boots with the Cold war ankle putties, and no matter how hard i wrapped them, for the life of me i could not get the putties to stop riding u

Default How to properly fit British Cold war ankle putties?

I was recently wearing some British Cold war DMS boots with the Cold war ankle putties, and no matter how hard i wrapped them, for the life of me i could not get the putties to stop riding up the boots and exposing the backs, losing ankle support and meaning that dirt/mud ect could get in, defeating the purpose of them in the first place.

I was wondering what i was doing wrong, and if there was any proper procedure of wrapping the ankle putties round the DMS boots, or if the old design of these is just not very good in the first place, making this an inevitability?

How to properly fit British Cold war ankle putties?

Have a look at my post #454 here;

Show your mannequins!

I really liked puttees and if worn correctly they created a very distinctive "good soldier" appearance. They had their issues and faults but so did / do the replacements. I must admit though that I do look back and chuckle when I think back of the few unfortunates who could just never get it right!

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    PS You don't say why you were wearing them. Re-enactment or "something for the weekend"?
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for the reply. Will be sure the give that post a good read.

Same as you i actually really like the putties, when not coming up, i find the putties very comfortable and supportive, and give a distinctive look.

I wore them as part of a Falklands impression during an Airsoft day.

Quote by Armo1000 View Post
    Same as you i actually really like the putties, when not coming up, i find the putties very comfortable and supportive, and give a distinctive look.
    You are most welcome.

Just a word to the wise however; The spelling "putties" is sometimes seen and can't really be considered wrong as the etymology is Hindi - patti meaning bandage or Sanskrit - patta meaning strip of cloth but any serviceman who ever wore them as part of their uniform will only ever spell it puttees which was always the official military nomenclature. Putties is a bit too much like "butties" (sandwiches) and might seem less well informed.

It was often considered humourous to change the "Declaration" to the range officer (formal oath "I have no live rounds, empty cases or misfires in my possession Sir") at the end of a shoot to be "I have no rockets in my pockets, schermulies down my goolies or butties in my puttees Sir".

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-06-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

ILH
    ?

I had to wear them in cadets, so I don't know as much as Watchdog, but I did have skinny legs that flapped about in the top of DMS boots, causing the same problem. My solution was thick, knee length, socks folded down over my lower calf and pushed into the top of the boot slightly... Might work for you?

Thanks, will give it a shot