Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Id US Leather Holster

Article about: Hello gents, Is anyone know this holster? When this was made and for what unit? I already search everywhere but no avail. Thank you.

Question Id US Leather Holster

Hello gents,

Is anyone know this holster? When this was made and for what unit?
    Id US Leather Holster
    I already search everywhere but no avail.
    Thank you.

This looks similar to a pilots survival vest holster. Since the color is black I would say that this would date from the 60's. I do not have my references in front of me at the moment but since this is lacking any type of leather straps to be used as a shoulder carried holster, I believe this may be a variant that was utilized by pilots in Vietnam. This would have been integrated into the construction of the vest, and there would be no need for additional straps. What I am curious about is the addition of the ammunition tab on the holster. This could have been an automatic or a revolver. Given that there are 6 slots for bullets I would guess it was for a revolver and not an automatic which would have had a magazine.

I will have to research this a little more and hopefully come up with a definitive answer..

Smitty

Looks like a doctored shoulder holster to me, similar to the Enger Kress.

After looking at this a little closer and the hardware on it, this is a modified .45 caliber automatic hostler that has been modified. Some of the key identifiers making this a .45 automatic holster. At the very bottom you can see the back side of a complete .45 holster with the grommet. The front was cut out so that the barrel of the pistol (revolver or automatic) would be revealed. Looking right in the center of the holster there appears to be a hole. On the unmodified .45 automatic holsters this would be where the stud was mounted for the flap to close and cover the .45 automatic. The cross strap with the US stamp is from a shoulder holster rig, commonly seen worn by armored crew members/pilots..

The ammunition tab on the front of the holster looks like it was applied and it also looks to be brown in color.

Here are two photos that will show the .45 auto holster and the shoulder holster so you can see how your holster was modified using some of the components of each. The bullet holder may have been cut from the leather strap of the Victory Model revolver holster that was common with pilots.

So my conclusion is that this started out as a .45 automatic holster that was modified privately. A Frankenholster made from a few holsters combined together..

Smitty
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Id US Leather Holster  
    Attached Images Attached Images Id US Leather Holster  Id US Leather Holster 

Thank you very much for the explanation!