Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Indian-made Pattern 1937 Webbing Set Overview

Article about: The following set of Pattern 1937 webbing was manufactured between 1942 and 1943 by Bata Shoe Company Private, Limited in British India. Czechoslovak industrialist Tomas Bata set up the firs

Technically not webbing, but made of web.

?

This is of course an old thread, but I have a question to ask about Indian-made webbing, as I have just ordered a pair of 1943 Bata braces: was Indian production actually used on European theatres of operation or solely in Asia or the Pacific?

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Regards,

Didier

Hi Didier, it was mostly used in Asia, but it did see service in North Africa and Italy as well- Italy was a hotch potch of British, Canadian, indian and South African webbing. It would not have been seen in the Western Europe campaigns though. It basically comes down to supply lines- it was shorter and easier to supply troops in France from Britain and Canada, in the Pacific it was more economical to supply from India and Australia whilst Italy was in the middle so got supplied from both ends of the supplu line (gross simplification but you get the idea)

?

Yes, I understand. Thank you very much indeed for this explanation, Warspite!

?

Sabre Sales in Portsmouth always used to have a quanities of Indian manufactured items in their webbing room so clearly some stocks did make it to the UK stores system, but questionable if ever issured.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4