Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Mark III field dressing

Article about: Came upon this little Gem last weekend at a little junk store while we were out for a drive (DRESSINGS, First Field Mark III ) Manufactured by BAUER & BLACK Toronto Ontario Nicely stampe

?

Default Mark III field dressing

Came upon this little Gem last weekend at a little junk store while we were out for a drive (DRESSINGS, First Field Mark III ) Manufactured by BAUER & BLACK Toronto Ontario Nicely stamped C broad arrow and dated to January 1944.
    Judging by the size this would be the propper field dressing worn under the camo net that I have seen in some of the period images of Canadian soldiers in the ETO
    Forgot to mention the measurments of the bandage is 3 3/4 long by 2 inches wide by 1 1/2 deep

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mark III field dressing   Mark III field dressing  

Default Re: Mark III field dressing

Looks like a nice one, Mark!

I've been very confused by both the shell and field dressings. I have heard differing reports on where each was worn... either on the helmet or in a pocket in the combat uniform. Very confusing!

?

I as well Joe Iam making an assumption at this point hard to tell for shur from the photos I was looking at. Possibly someone could clarify which dressing was worn were ie ...field dressing vs shell dressing .

Regards Mark K

The field dressing was officially kept in the special pocket provided for it in the Battledress trousers.

The shell dressing is larger and has a string on it. This allowed the troops to tie it to helmet nets, shoulder straps etc. Not really officially done. I have seen both types of dressing worn on the steel helmet. Shell dressings were kept in a webbing bag marked with a Red Cross. I have all of these in my collection but will need to take some pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Thanks for clearing that up Adrian as to which bandage was worn on the helmet it sounds like there is no definitive answer as they were placed there by the soldier for easy access in the field.
    Joe and I were discussing the placement of the bandage on the helmet for the purpose of display .

Regards Mark K