Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Mystery item of webbing

Article about: Hello all, I have found this forum with a web search, and paid some subs, as I have an unknown item of webbing that I would like to identify please. I say it's unknown - I've been around mil

Default Mystery item of webbing

Hello all,
    I have found this forum with a web search, and paid some subs, as I have an unknown item of webbing that I would like to identify please.
    I say it's unknown - I've been around military vehicles for the last 20 years, so regard myself as a practised browser of all sorts of stuff on those fantastic stalls at shows. You know - the ones complete with the heady smell of damp canvas.
    I have never seen one of these
    Mystery item of webbing
    Mystery item of webbing
    Mystery item of webbing
    Mystery item of webbing
    Mystery item of webbing
    Mystery item of webbing

Of course, I'm setting myself up for it to be something really simple and common, but I can take that. I hope.

It came with my M151 Mutt when I bought it. Now this vehicle is obviously US, however it has been all over Europe both in military & civilian ownership.
    The item itself has no markings. Apart from the FU in red marker. Which I'm sure is something other than the obvious. The two side flaps were once secured with hook & loop but on one side this has been shaved, and the other side the hook side has become permanently attached to the loops and the stitching is undone.
    The top flap secures with hook & loop, but also a pin with a leatherette (?) buttonhole tab. With some really bad stitching.

So, the usual recourse with something like this is either Special Forces, or it belonged to Monty. Obviously I'm prepared for this revelation and anyone who says it's a common-as-muck doohicky from Italy doesn't know what they're talking about .

Seriously though, I would be very grateful for any help or ideas. A positive ID would be great, but reasoned guesses would be entertaining too.

All the best to all of you,

Muttley

Hi Muttley and welcome indeed. It's great to see you come straight in with a Premium Membership, that shows credibility and goes a long way to extablishing your bona fides

I have never seen one of these before but two immediate ideas spring to mind;

1. It doesn't look like anything from the major Western Allies, it's too crude. So, I am leaning towards the Middle East or the Balkans.

2. I get the impression of something comms/signals related and I don't believe that huge grommet in the bottom is a drain hole, more likely it is to accommodate wires or maybe a tube (now thinking NBC).

Also, the velcro realy does put it in the mid-late 20th century at the oldest unless added by a user?

I also seriously doubt there is any link to special forces before anyone doe go down that route. I doesn't look very robust.

I'm just waiting for someone to pipe up with "don't you know ........?"

Good luck and enjoy the forum.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

Looks like some sort of gas mask bag, the separate filter with hose type.
    The hole would be for air intake with the filter fitting into the bottom of the bag.
    I agree with Mark, looks Eastern Europe.

Welcome along, It is an M66 Italian Army Gas Mask Bag.

The Italians use the plastic covered name thingy a lot.

GENUINE ITALIAN ARMY GAS MASK BAG | eBay

Italian Army Canvas Gas Mask Bag Pack of 10

Italian Gas Mask M58
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Mystery item of webbing  

So there we are. My flippant statement about a "common as muck Italian doohicky" wasn't a million miles away!

Thanks very much for the quick answer. And it's confirmed to me that the room full of experts is always the best place to ask.

I shall have to put a label on it now so I don't forget!

Thanks again and, as we now have it, stay safe.

Muttley